Blackjack after Split !

Discussion in 'Blackjack Tournament Strategy' started by PlayHunter, Oct 2, 2012.

1. PlayHunter

PlayHunter Active Member

I have to say from the start that this is not related to any tournament. So, I feel this thread should not be here in "Tournaments strategy and Teasers" but I did not found a better section where to post it. I am just trying to find some accurate percentages on how blackjack after split would affect the overall house edge.

- How much would lower the house edge (in %) if a 2 card 21 would count as a Blackjack (paying out 3 to 2) after a split ?

Consider this in a game where a hand can be split up to 3 times making 4 hands on the table. Aces re-split allowed as well.

Additional question: - When it would be worthy to split 10 value cards in this case without counting ? - But with counting ?

PS: From what I know, using basic strategy the house edge lowers with 0.19% just by simply splitting the Aces and paying out 3 to 2 for a blackjack after split, counting it as a natural blackjack. But what I want to know is if 10 value cards worth be splitted (against basic strategy) at any point while this rule is in play ?

2. gronbog

gronbog Top Member

Yes, it is unfortunate that the forums on blackjackinfo.com are now closed. There are other good forums running, but since I don't know if you belong to any of them, I too will answer here.
    My software can generate the proper strategy and then the house edge for this. Any other details? Number of decks? penetration? H17? DOA? DAS?

PlayHunter likes this.
  3. PlayHunter

PlayHunter Active Member

Firstly I have asked this question on WizardofVegas, but unfortunately the people there could not give me too much info on this.

Thank you very much, so I would give you two set of rules. But if it is time consuming, choose between one set of the following:

1. Decks used 8, Dealer stand on S17, Double any 2 cards, DAS, Hit Split Aces, Late Surrender, dealer does not peek for BJ, 50% penetration.

2. Decks used 4, Dealer hits on S17, Double any 2 cards, DAS, Hit Split Aces, Late Surrender, dealer peeks for BJ, decks reshuffled each hand.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2012
  4. gronbog

gronbog Top Member

Sorry, but I need more info.
    • When you say "Hit Split Aces", does that literally mean that all you can do is hit or stand? I ask because you previously mentioned resplitting aces. Can you double on a split aces hand?
    • In the no peek scenario, what is the rule for when the dealer has blackjack after you have doubled and/or split? Do you lose the original bet only?

5. PlayHunter

PlayHunter Active Member

Yes you are right, sorry I should specify those before. After we split aces, everything is allowed, stand, hit (multiple hit if need), double down, and surrender.

For no peek, only the original bet is lost. But I am also curious to know how much would affect it if all bets (splits and doubles) would be considered as loses.

6. KenSmith

KenSmith Administrator Staff Member

PlayHunter likes this.
  7. PlayHunter

PlayHunter Active Member

Thank you very much Ken, great software ! (I was not aware of it until now, and it helped me to find the answers I mas mainly looking for)

But there is still one small thing that maybe I do not know where to look for: - How do I set penetration % into this software, if I need to ?

As for the results, yes it has answered very quick to all my questions:

1. In the first scenario (without counting penetration) there is player edge of +0.022 and in the second scenario, is a house edge of +0.021

2. BJK after split 10 bonus does not worth anything because we have to never split 10s. BJK after split aces adds ~ 0.23 EV for the player.

3. A No Hole Card with OBO lose rule is really equivalent with a peek game while a ENHC where all bets lost adds a ~ 0.11 EV for the house.

8. KenSmith

KenSmith Administrator Staff Member

You don't. This software analyzes only the first hand, off the top of whatever deck composition you choose. It calculates every possible ordering of cards for that hand to arrive at the exact EV of the game.

For a player who flat-bets, this return is an accurate EV for more deeply dealt games, except for the cut-card effect which can be substantial. If a game is dealt to a fixed number of rounds per shuffle, the EV provided is exact.

For card counting, where the bets are varied based on the remaining deck composition, this tool is not what you need. For those needs, CVData has a wealth of features for extensive research of those scenarios. If you are just interested in the typical card counting questions of the effect of spread, penetration, and rules on profit and variance, CVCX is a quicker and cheaper alternative.

PlayHunter likes this.
  9. gronbog

gronbog Top Member

I'm glad you were able to get the answers you needed using the software that Ken directed you to. It's always nice to get the same results from another source (for you, identical answers to your question and, for me, getting the same result as another software program). I am happy to report that I get the same house edge for scenario 2.

I haven't been able to get to scenario 1 just yet. It seems that my software's support for NOPEEK, OBO is not as complete as I had thought it was.

PlayHunter likes this.