World Series of Blackjack III, Week Six

Discussion in 'World Series of Blackjack' started by KenSmith, Jul 10, 2006.

1. KenSmith

KenSmith Administrator Staff Member

Tonight's show:
    July 10th: Ken Smith, Elie Karam (Foxwoods), Paul Eckstein, Dominick Haven (Barona), Val Hunter (Seneca Niagara)

10 PM Eastern on GSN.

2. Barney Stone

Barney Stone New Member

I recognize many of these names

>>>>
    Tonight's show:
    July 10th: Ken Smith, Elie Karam (Foxwoods), Paul Eckstein, Dominick Haven (Barona), Val Hunter (Seneca Niagara)
    >>>>>

But who in the hell is this Ken Smith guy? LOL Hope you did/do well!

Barney

3. Gotta get to a TV. Gonna be fun. :joker: Hope things turn out better than when we watched in Gulfport. You know who we are all pulling for.

Had to come back and edit when I remembered we watched at the Gulfport Grand and not the Biloxi property.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2006
  4. ptaylorcpa

ptaylorcpa Member

Nice play Ken!

Great play Ken. I know you felt good when the dealer flipped the two to bust the other player and guarantee you at least second. It just would have been sweet to have pulled a 3,4, or five and gotten the win too; but you did great to finish like you did with the lousy cards you got all night! Looking forward to seeing your next show and seeing you at Goldstrike in a few weeks.

Pat

5. BJFAN4

BJFAN4 New Member

Very nice Kenneth!

Clearly the best technical good play in spite of really lousy cards. Nicely done.:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

6. Barney Stone

Barney Stone New Member

Great wild card shaping up

With technical playuhs Kami and Ken, but we have to give the bonehead award to Paul "you can call me Predator" for not using his Burger Chip. Maybe he didnt know he could use it the way like Charlie did? Guess grandma didnt have one at the kitchen table!

7. TXtourplayer

TXtourplayer Executive Member

Chip stacks?

Damn push, I thought you may have got you 3, 4, or 5 on the last hand.

I have one question, I noticed you had your chips spread across the table tonight. Last year we had to keep our chips in stacks of 20, it looked like you had 3 stacks of white chips in small stacks? Did they not have that rule this year?

If not was the smaller stacks for your benifit or to try and make it harder for the other players?

Good luck in the playoffs Ken!

8. KenSmith

It's amazing how much I had forgotten about that round, how the bad cards just stayed and stayed and stayed. I guess it's selective memory! I had forgotten all about that $50K bet early in the round too.

On the chip stacks, we definitely still had a rule about that, or I would have had my usual skyscraper stacks. As many of you know, my nervous habit is working my way up and down my chip stacks while thinking. Who knows whether I was in compliance with the chip-stack guidelines while doing that!

I had some interesting decisions, and I actually surprised myself on a couple of them while watching the show. I was a little surprised at my double for less, and then later I was surprised when I DIDN'T double for less. I'll have to watch again and pay closer attention to see if I like my decisions.

One thing though... It's interesting how the missing hands on TV can make a real difference in the texture of the game.

I definitely played this round with a much different mindset than the first two years. I focused a lot more on predicting my opponent's bets when betting in front. Usually, my guesses were helpful, but not always.

For Paul, I'm pretty sure he just flat forgot about the power chip. As others have noted many times before, it's different out there.

I wish I could remember exactly what I was debating on the last hand. When I was called for time, I pushed out the $50K, confident that Paul would do the same behind me. I think as time ran out I was trying to decide whether I could make a smaller bet and hope that Dominic would give me the low by betting the max. But I think that caused trouble if Paul were to double. I know I had ruled out the possible in-between bet that might have made sense against different opponents.

All in all, I consider myself fortunate to have had any shot at all after the trash I was getting. While the commentators put a good spin on it, I'll only take a little of the credit. I had to get lucky on a few key hands or I was gone early. Preservation of bankroll was the main skill that got me through it.

And, yeah, the wild card round was a really fun one. Stay tuned.

9. Barney Stone

Barney Stone New Member

Ken

Im pretty sure a key play you made, of those we got to see, was hitting a 13 after you had been pounded by standing on those low breaking hands. That looked like a key play to me, what do you remember from that? (i hope Im right , will watch again tomorrow.)

tia,

Barney

10. maxwell

maxwell Member

ken

What Can I Say But Bad Budha:d
    What Was Your Thinking On Your First Max Bet?
    IT SEEMS THAT YOU ARE THE FIRST OF THE ADVANTAGE PLAYERS TO ADVANCE AND LITTLE KNOWN PLAYERS MOVE FORWARD IS THAT BECAUSE OF THE KNOCK OUT ROUNDS AND BURGER KING POWER CHIP THAT LESS SKILLED PLAYERS CAN ADVANCE -IT SEEMS THE ADVANTAGE PLAYERS ARE HAVING BAD LUCK THIS YEAR

Last edited: Jul 11, 2006
  11. TXtourplayer

I haven't talked much about anyone's play this year, and this is why. Ken is absolutely correct, when you're out there in front of the cameras (even with more time for each play) there is a lot more pressure on you.

Ken did what he needed to do to advance, and had Dominic not gotten every break, Ken may have won the table.

Now Ken may have gotten a BIG break when Paul forgot his power chip on the last hand, we'll never know and it's over so it doesn't matter anyway.

Once again Congratulations Ken and good luck in the playoffs.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2006
  12. KenSmith

Yes, that was an interesting play. That was my early $50,000 bet, and I think I had only $26,000 or so left back. My thinking was pretty simple there. 13v2 is a very close call already. In my situation, I would have been happy with a push on this hand, and that swung the balance toward hitting over standing. In other words, losing is a lot worse than pushing here, more so than usual. My decision to hit was a direct consequence of that.

On that first big bet, I really wanted to position myself above the battle for last place when the first knock-out round occurred. With elimination hands in the mix, it's dangerous to linger close to the back of the pack, because lots of things can go wrong. I could have made a smaller than max bet and still taken the lead, but my bet still had to be big enough that losing it would put me in serious trouble, likely needing two wins afterward to get out of the hole. If I lose a max bet, I need the same two wins to get back into the game. Therefore, I decided to put as much reward into the risk as possible, and that was the max bet.

Why are the advantage players not faring well? That's perfectly normal. We're outnumbered! Tournament players, even highly experienced ones, do a lot more losing than winning. I don't think the format changes or anything else contributed to this. It's just normal tournament luck.

13. TXtourplayer

Blackjack Budda....

I now understand your avatar...LOL :D

Your Blackjack Budda play went as well as my letting Deanna wear my hat last year. :eek:

I don't think lucky charms work well against Deanna, if we get another chance to play aganist her we better leave the lucky charms off the table...LOL :rolleyes:

14. bahoozle

bahoozle Member

What's the DEAL

I have to agree w/ Maxwell here. The more seasoned players have all had an extended run of bad cards. I hate when that happens! BTW, Ken, nice bet management!

15. Shanarock

Shanarock New Member

Inspired once again

After a few weeks lay off,your play last night has inspired me to return to my weekly tournament. Hope to see you at the Moon tonight.

Joey

16. Impressive!

Great watching the master at work and that episode clearly showed why many of us consider Ken Smith the top tournament player in the world.

On the negative side, I am stunned at how poor some of the qualifers have played in this tournament. I am amazed that they actually won their way onto the show.

Ken, good luck in the wild card!

17. KenSmith

More thoughts

I finally had a chance to watch the show again, and take a few notes for discussion. I was glad to see that the plays that surprised me earlier weren't all that surprising upon closer scrutiny.

Here is one.
    Hand 14, in button order:
    Code:
    [FONT=Courier New]Dominick:  $130,250   $5,000    Blackjack
    Val:       $ 92,000   $5,000    16 Surrender
    Ken:       $116,500   $4,000    Hard 10, Dbl $2000
    Paul:      $112,000   $5,000    Hard 11, Dbl $5000
    Dealer has ten up.
    [/FONT]
    This was the hand where I doubled for less, for $2000. While watching the show, I wondered why I had chosen to double for less here. Yes, it's clear that Paul will double here, and my $2000 dbl-for-less keeps the high over him in that case. But it's quite early in the game to be jockeying for a $500 lead over Paul.

Once I paid attention, I realized that doubling for $2000 insures that I keep both the high and the low over Paul WHETHER HE DOUBLES OR NOT. That's the key that makes this play worthwhile.

Since it's a poor double (Ten vs Ten), I want to double for just enough to accomplish my goal. But it's a pretty cheap way to correlate here.

18. KenSmith

Another hand

Then, on hand 19, I wondered briefly while watching why I didn't double my 12v3 after Val doubled.
    Hand 19, in button order:
    Code:
    [FONT=Courier New]Val      $107,000   $22,000   6A Dbl $22,000
    Ken      $108,750   $22,000   T29
    Paul     $119,500   $ 5,000   T7
    Dominick $141,750   $ 5,000   3T / 32T
    Dealer 3T4
    [/FONT]
    Here, we know the second knock-out card could be coming up soon, so I definitely don't want to risk dropping into last place. I was happy to see Val make a bet that I could match and still chase Paul.

While watching the show, I figured I would double after Val did, to keep pace. A quick look at the situation now shows that I didn't need to. I already have a high over Paul, so I don't need to risk another $22K on a bad double (12v3). So, I just hit, and of course, I drew a 9 for 21. :D
    Oh well!

19. KenSmith

And, the final hand

Final hand, in button order:
    Code:
    [FONT=Courier New]Ken:         $154,250   $50,000    Hard 16 Dbl $50K
    Paul:        $137,000   $50,000    Hard 11 Dbl $50K
    Dominick:    $170,250   $50,000    TT
    [/FONT]
    Deanna finally pressed me for a decision here, and I pushed out the $50K. I had a lead of $17,250 over Paul, and trailed Dominick by $16,000.

A bet of $17,000 looked interesting here, but I discarded it because I was virtually certain that Paul was going to make a max bet no matter what I bet. Taking the low over a player is not necessary when you're pretty sure you can get the high and low instead.

It's hard to remember for sure, but I think my thought process went something like this...

What about a bet of $34,000 (quickly arrived at by doubling the 17K possibility)? Yeah, that gives me the high and the low over a $50K bet by Paul, and I can also surrender to beat him if he looks likely to push.

Hmm, if I bet $33K instead, I get all that and there's also a chance I might get first low if Dominick just bets the max.
    (I'll digress for a second to point out how close these parameters are on all sides! If they both bet the max after I bet $33,000, I'd have a $250 high over Paul, a $750 surrender high over Paul's push, and a $1000 low over Dominick.)
    Working through that process took most of my time.

But, no, I don't think Dominick is all that likely to give me the low. He's more likely to match up. And, I can't cover Paul's double with a double of my own if I bet only $33K. (And, as BR2, a double is very likely in my seat!)

About that time, Deanna gave me my ten second notice. I was concerned that any small mistake with the $33K bet would be deadly, since the numbers were all so close. That, plus the double-double problem with Paul, led me to resignedly push out the $50K. You'll notice that I made the comment... "Well, $50K then." All that effort to figure a pinhole precision bet, and I can't pull the trigger on it.

One more thought helped make the decision though. Back in the early part of the round, I had caught up within $500 of Dominick. He had been reliably betting $5000 every hand for a while, so I bet $6000 ahead of him. He surprised me a little by matching my bet instead of pushing out another $5000. That little glimpse of his play made me give him a little more credit on the last hand. I don't think he would have bet $50K if I bet $33K.

Hopefully this little exploration of how I played is informative to some of you. Feel free to blast away at my decisions.

20. KenSmith

And, a cute anecdote

One more item from that show:

Dominick told me after the round that when I pulled the 'Knockout Immunity Buddha" out of my pocket, he thought for a moment that this was some kind of rule he had overlooked, and worried that I now had some special advantage, perhaps because of my participation in prior seasons!

It took him only a moment to realize I was just kidding, but it had to be an unsettling few seconds!

Lest anyone think I'm picking on him, I think Dominick played quite well in this round.