Atlantis Paradise Island: Sports Legend Challenge

Discussion in 'Blackjack Events (Other areas)' started by KenSmith, Jul 15, 2009.

1. KenSmith

KenSmith Administrator Staff Member

I'm extremely skeptical this event will come off as advertised, but it's an ambitious plan...

Up to $10,000,000 in prize money for 4 days of poker tournaments, blackjack tournaments, slot tournaments and golf tournaments, with a big roster of famous sports celebrities involved.

Sunday September 13, 2009 through Thursday September 17, 2009.

Read all about it here:
    http://www.sportslegendchallenge.com

By the way, their 25% off special ends today. If you register today, you pay $7500 instead of $10,000.

I got information second-hand that they are hoping for 1000 players, which I assume is where the $10M in prizes comes from.

2. KenSmith

KenSmith Administrator Staff Member

I'm surprised no-one has commented on this one, with the $10M prize pool.

3. ptaylorcpa

ptaylorcpa Member

Fine print

This is interesting and it sounds like lots of fun if you had the time and money to participate.

The fine print says:

1. Payouts are based on a fully subscribed event (2,100 players). The potential prize pool for each tournament is based on maximum sign-up for that event.

2. Tournament payouts, based on full participation in the event in total (2,100 players) and full participation in each form of play (Poker, Blackjack, etc) as shown above (all amounts are in $US).

3. All million dollar bonuses will be paid in a 40 year annuity.

It is confusing on what you will actually have a potential to win if they have less than full participation in each event.

If you have "full participation" in the blackjack tournaments the prize pool is $3000 in each of the qualifiers (top 3 get $1000 each). There are 28 qualifiers to the finals you could play in. Top two advance to finals, total of 56 players in finals. First prize $500,000.

My guess is that this event will happen since they already have all the guests and tv coverage set up. Keep us posted on when it shows on Fox Sports.

4. LeftNut

LeftNut Top Member

I think it's a great event but is way too poker-loaded for me to pony up $10K.
    Sure hope it flies for them, though, our game could use some new TV exposure.

5. TXtourplayer

TXtourplayer Executive Member

Twenty-eight tries...

I called up on this event to see what the format was going to be. I was informed that they would be hosting 28 qualifiers over the first three days with starting bankroll of $1,000 with min. $100 to max. $1,000 betting limits and the top two player after 15 hands advancing to the Thursday finals (56 players in the finals).

*Note: The top two players advance per event, not the top two per table in each event and the entire event is 15 hands.

Your $10,000 entry gets you $10,000 in entry points or bucks. Each BJ event cost 500 of these points so you could play in at least 20 of the qualifiers slamming $1,000 of the bat and hope you catch a cold dealer because that is what it will take to advance in this format.

I was told the different events will be scheduled do you can play in all the different game events, BJ, Poker, and Golf. So should you go play and get lucky in one of the early BJ qualifiers you could play and try to qualify in one or more of the other games as well.

6. RKuczek

RKuczek Member

AP/UB Satelites

AP/UB are offering satelites for this event. Main Super Satelite costs $500+ and gets the winner an entry into the Sports Legend Challenge (valued at $10,000) plus $2,000 travel, plus entry into 'freerolls'. They also have a satelite for $60+ where the winner gets an entry into the Super Satelite. Also have a Special where the entry is 5,000 Ultimate Points, winner gets the $10,000 Sports Challenge entry plus the travel plus freerolls.

All this is poker, of course.

7. London Colin

London Colin Top Member

Eligibility

The AP/UB rules say:
    • Participants must be 21 years of age or older;
    • Live and reside in any of the 48 contiguous states of the United States;
    • Participants must be legal, permanent residents of the United States;
    The other 'other way to enter' which is listed - NTN BUZZTIME, INC. 25 YEARS OF SPORTS TRIVIA CHAMPIONSHIP - casts the net a bit wider:
    I've not found anything to say who is eligible for the main event itself. (Not that I was considering paying $10,000 to enter!)

8. johnny480

johnny480 New Member

I found a sponsor site that you can get a vacation package that includes an entry ticket for $5199 per person at
    http://shop.rovia.com

9. TXtourplayer

Based on dbl. occupancy

Johnny480 the price is $5,199 based on double occupancy, but only one of you get entry into the tournaments. So your actually paying the $10,000 entry plus and additional $398 for and extra person to get a transfer from the airport and stay in your room.

10. I am taking a swing at qualifying thru the NTN/Buzztime trivia route. Their contest started on July 13. You earn qualification points for reaching certain scoring levels on a specific trivia game played twice a day. I have been playing the Sports Challenge games every chance I have since then. If you make the cutoff point at the end of the trivia Sports Challenge (July 31), then you get to compete in the finals on August 12,13, & 14. Right now, I am in the top 3,000 players nationally and that is good enough to qualify for the finals. There will be three people from each of four regions in the US chosen each night of the finals. (overall trivia winner for the region each night and two random wildcards from finals qualifiers)

There is no way I am gonna pony up 10K but I would sure love to go if I can get there on the trivia freeroll.

11. TXtourplayer

WPT poker league

I see the WPT is involved in this Legends tournament. With their support this event might get enough players. Being a member of the WTP amateur poker league get you a discount for the Legends tournaments also.

The blackjack tournaments are still a crap shoot though. Low number of hands per session and player with the high score advances from the entire session, not just each table, (big luck factor).

12. I was just over at the NTN/Buzztime Trivia website. They were sending 18 people to this event who won their trip during a trivia contest. NTN just got word that the organizers of this event were postponing it until sometime this spring due to a lack of player participation. The trivia network people are pissed. The NTN winners are still getting a free trip to Atlantis in the Bahamas but none of the Sports Legends events will be taking place.