Big news from the WSOB 2006 champion

Discussion in 'World Series of Blackjack' started by KenSmith, Apr 30, 2008.

1. KenSmith

KenSmith Administrator Staff Member

WSOB 2006 champion Dr Jeff Bernstein sent me this email:

Hello everybody,

On April 25 & 26 I had the opportunity to compete in Harrah’s World Series of Gaming (Blackjack Tournament). There were just under 200 participants who came from all over the United States. The format was an interesting one. It was a hybrid, with round one being accumulation style. Each player had two opportunities, with only their highest score being counted. The top 49 scores advanced to the semi-final round.

In the semi-final round there were seven tables with seven players. You had to win your semi-final table as only one player advanced. I won my table and advanced to the final table. The final table was held immediately after the semi-final matches. Prior to the final table they announced the names of the players who made the final table. As they were announcing the names over the public address, the name KEN SMITH was announced. I was quite surprised when I heard Ken’s name mentioned, because I had not seen him there. For those who don’t know Ken Smith, he is one of the best tournament Blackjack player in the world. I looked all around and didn’t see him. Then some guy comes up and introduces himself: Ken Smith, professional poker player. Fortunately, not the Ken Smith I know.

First order of business, Mr. Smith proposed chopping/splitting the $100,000 pot. All the guys at the final table agreed, except for me. I didn’t like the split. Winner gets $40,000, everybody else gets $10,000. Winner is responsible for all taxes. With my quick analyses I figured if I won the table, in my tax bracket (40%) I would end up with zero. I didn’t like that at all. So, they agreed to chop it and now besides having to play the final table, six guys are after me in a bad way.

As play began, I started evaluating my opponents. I used advanced strategy moves developed by Blackjack pros Ken Smith and Ken Einiger. Each of my opponents were taken out systematically, one at a time. When the last one got beat, I was declared the 2008 World Series of Gaming Blackjack Champion. From around 200 people to me “Dr. Jeff,” the last man standing. After winning the 2006 World Series of Blackjack I questioned if I could win another major tournament. Well I did, and it was awesome!

I just wanted to share it with you guys, as I thought you would get a kick out of it.

Take care.

Jeff Bernstein

----------------------------
    Amazing! Congratulations on catching lightning in a bottle twice Jeff. Well done!

2. Trouble

Trouble Member

Cogratulations !!!

My Congrats to Dr Jeff. We met at the WSOB IV, and I found Dr Jeff to be a real Gentleman. Hope we meet again down the road. Congratulations, Dr Jeff.

Trouble