BJT member takes home 2nd place prize

Discussion in 'Blackjack Events (USA)' started by Billy C, Dec 16, 2015.

1. Billy C

Billy C Top Member

Our own Dakota did a masterful job for a second place finish in the Orleans BJ tournament that just ended about 15 minutes ago.
    Congratulations Dakota!!!

Billy C

Cadillac Tim, gronbog and KenSmith like this.
  2. The_Professional

The_Professional Active Member

Congratulations Dakota- way to go!

Cadillac Tim likes this.
  3. Jonny21

Jonny21 Active Member

Way to go, Dakota !!

Cadillac Tim likes this.
  4. MrPill

MrPill Active Member

Good job Dakota!

Cadillac Tim likes this.
  5. Cadillac Tim

Cadillac Tim Active Member

Great work Dakota!!!

6. Cadillac Tim

Cadillac Tim Active Member

Thanks for posting Billy!!

7. rookie789

rookie789 Active Member

My hats tipped to Dakota! I was in attendance at the Orleans tournament unfortunately as an observer during the semi's and finals.

Dakota completely confused (with one advancing) BR1 the semi's final hand with a double for less prior to BR1 acting. It was classic textbook "BJ tournament final hand 101."

Cadillac Tim and KenSmith like this.
  8. gronbog

gronbog Top Member

Would like to know the details of that one. Perhaps Dakota will post it in the tournament strategy forum.

Cadillac Tim likes this.
  9. Dakota

Dakota Top Member

gronbog, I'll go ahead and respond here since it is short and sweet. The strategy which I used was just one of many excellent strategies advanced by Ken Smith over the years. The article, "Doubling for Less, a Powerful Tournament Strategy" covers a situation where an opponent has both the high and low on you and bets after you. A full double by you only delays the inevitable, assuming the opponent is also able to double. However, by doubling for just enough to take the high on the opponents single bet win, that forces the opponent to either (1) split a pair thus making a full second bet (losing the low and possibly the high) or (2) if not a pair, match your 'double for less' and hope to draw a good card. Surprisingly, instead of matching your 'double for less', most opponents simply make a full doubling bet without thinking, again losing the low (and also the high if you get a half-swing in your favor).

Thanks Ken!!

10. KenSmith

KenSmith Administrator Staff Member

I think of all the interesting moves one can make in tournament play, doubling for less is perhaps my all time favorite. It comes in handy so frequently, and can really pack a punch.
    Dakota, thanks for the mention, and congrats on the recent win.

Cadillac Tim likes this.
  11. LeftNut

LeftNut Top Member

Just saw this - Congratulations, Dakota!!!! Great news. Good job using that strategy, just goes to show that it isn't merely a luckbox lottery. You certainly proved my tagline here and I'm very happy for you!

12. PitchMan

PitchMan Top Member

Congratulations Dakota.... I've put in too much Christmas prep and work time I guess .... I haven't been logged on in longer than I thought. It really pleased me to read of your success at Orleans. I guess I'll see you at Buffalo Run in a couple of weeks. Maybe you can have an "aftershock" win there :) And thanks to you for traveling so far and all those in the string above who've helped Cindy get this very nice BRC tournament out of the gate so fast. Best of luck to all of you!

13. Monkeysystem

Monkeysystem Top Member Staff Member

That aftershock win came for Dakota at Buffalo Run. Congratulations Dakota for another cash finish! Great player... I was on his semifinals table and busted out before the end but got to watch his performance!

Cadillac Tim likes this.