brain dead

Discussion in 'Sidewalk Cafe' started by maxwell, Mar 28, 2012.

1. maxwell

maxwell Member

I am interested to know if anybody has ever just plain gone brain dead on the final hand of a tournament?

My experiance was this

1. Countdown on hand 19 next to last hand
    2. Last hand 20
    3. my count was 4900 in chips and I totally lost in my mind how many chips I had and for some strange reason I could not see my 1k chip so that I could split on a pairs 10s.
    4. I have never experiance this before maybe I was tired or just brain fade.
    5. It cost me from advancing to the quarter final.
    I have never been so embarresed in my life on that stupid play but if the dealer would have made a hand I would have advanced.
    :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

oh by the way I cannot type either

Has anybody else done this or should I go to the doctor I have been beating my self up on this now for 5 days

2. KenSmith

KenSmith Administrator Staff Member

Don't worry, it's normal. :laugh:

My two moments that I wish I could forget...

1) Playing at the Riviera Midnight Madness tournaments long ago, the chip colors were pretty atypical, with $25 chips being brown. I recounted my chips going into the last hand, and counted the browns as $100. You can imagine that didn't help my strategy a bit!

2) I played in the Bahamas in an event that allowed you to use pencil and paper at the table. Two players advanced, and we were down to 4 players at the table. I was in second place, and last to act. Somehow I used that pencil and paper to decide to make a huge bet. If I bet in the middle of the pack, I was a virtual lock because of the bets made ahead of me. But no, I pushed a big stack in the circle, lost it, and finished dead last. I'm convinced that I would have played much better without the lure of writing stuff down.

While those are the first two that come to mind, you'll also see in my writings that I tend to write a lot about my stupid moves. It seems those are more memorable than the brilliant bets. :laugh:

maxwell likes this.
  3. hopinglarry

hopinglarry Top Member

I will never forget what I did at the 4 Queens once up on a time.

I was betting behind a guy and thought I kept 5 more than him on the last hand. Instead I had kept 20 less than him. I came in 3rd instead of 2nd and it cost me 4K. I was shocked when they did the chip count and could not figure out what happened.

At 2 AM, I woke up and remembered that I had taken 25 in insurance 2 hands before the final hand and so had 25 less than I thought I had. I did not want to count my chips on the last hand, because the leader was betting behind me and did not want to give him an exact count. He probably had the chip count anyway. Just stupid.

Larry

maxwell likes this.
  4. gronbog

gronbog Top Member

Oh my, yes! Two that come to mind for me are:
    1. was playing online on UB. Final table, final hand vs Hollywood Dave. He acted first and surrendered. I calculated that if I also surrendered, I would win, so I did. However, I had incorrectly added 1/2 of my bet to my total BR (BR + bet) instead of just my remaining BR and it ended up being a lock for Dave. Thankfully, the online table closed before he could gloat!
    2. And I will never forget http://www.blackjacktournaments.com/bb/showthread.php?t=7257. That didn't end up costing me due to the way the cards came out, but it could have cost me $15,000.
    Clearly I now think long and hard before surrendering on a final hand!

maxwell likes this.
  5. maxwell

maxwell Member

tired

Thanks guys I am glad that my mistake is not uncommon in the heat of battle.
    I believe that I was very very tired from walking around Las Vegas and just could not pay attention. Being a smoker I am out of shape for a lot of walking and a few days of walking just got the best of me-I hope that is all there is to it and not beginning of Demitia.:eek::eek::eek:

6. Billy C

Billy C Top Member

I'm guilty

I've made more than my share of blunders in many years of tournaments and have to say that I'm quite hard on myself afterwards, also. To the point that I've considered quitting---------but I haven't yet.

Billy C

maxwell likes this.
  7. leilahay

leilahay Member

What would we do for fun if we couldn't spend hours beating ourselves up for our mistakes? It's always easy to see what we should or should not have done afterwards.

maxwell likes this.
  8. Monkeysystem

Monkeysystem Top Member Staff Member

Confusion Reigns

One time when St. Ignace still had the power chip, on the last hand of a two-advance round I thought about the power chip when I made my bet. But by the time it was my turn to make a playing decision I forgot about that power chip and was stuck unable to decide what to do. That was until the nut sitting on my Left, who had a blackjack that guaranteed he would advance, thought out loud that I ought to use my power chip. ;)

maxwell likes this.
  9. maxwell

maxwell Member

Thanks

Thanks everybody.
    I suppose the lesson learned is to be on your game do no be tired one mistake can cost you an advance to next round.
    You not only learn about the game but also yourself.