England v USA World Cup/President Obama and BP

Discussion in 'Sidewalk Cafe' started by ANDY 956, Jun 11, 2010.

1. ANDY 956

ANDY 956 Member

President Obama’s inflammatory rhetoric against BP has made tomorrows World Cup draw, England verses USA something of a grudge match between our two great nations.

So is there a betting opportunity to get a good price on the USA to beat or draw against England?

Well yes there is.

I believe that the USA football (soccer) team will be fired up tomorrow to take on the England players who are notorious for starting badly in the opening round. The USA soccer team has never been that far behind in terms of FIFA rankings.

So are you going to have a bet on the USA soccer team tomorrow?

Andy

Ps Don’t blame me if you lose your money :D

2. London Colin

London Colin Top Member

3. ANDY 956

ANDY 956 Member

When the USA Won against England

Well it was in 1950 and it still hurts for ninety-year-old Bert Williams who was on the England team at the time.

Have a read and listen to the link below for his fabulous story about how the Yanks beat us at football before it was called soccer.

Andy

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/world_cup_2010/8728535.stm

4. ANDY 956

ANDY 956 Member

Nice link Colin.

Britain’s American Ambassador will be eating fish tonight.

However, I have just backed USA to win at 6-1 odds

The girl at Tote Sport could not believe that I was betting against England.

I told her that money is money and I was just covering myself for any eventuality.

If England wins I will be happy and if the USA wins I will be in the money.

Andy

5. Barney Stone

Barney Stone New Member

I happened to be in a Mexican restaurant yesterday morning when Mexico was playing S. Africa. The owner warned me before entering that it would be loud. Cheering wasn't a problem so I got the last table. What I wasn't prepared for was the buzzing sound coming from the crowed that sounded like a billion mosquitoes, a trillion bees, a gillion chain saws and a car race all at the same time. The whining buzzing sound was terrible! I was happy when Mexico scored a goal when 100 people drowned out the buzzing!

6. Barney Stone

Barney Stone New Member

7. ANDY 956

ANDY 956 Member

Another bet on the USA?

I said that England would not beat the USA in their opening game. Unfortunately, I still lost my money because I backed the USA to win rather than take the draw. Betting against your national team is not recommended; it creates too many emotions and is something that I will never do again.

The odds on the USA will now be shortened, but I will still back them to win against Slovenia this Friday.

Barney is right about the buzzing noise from the stadiums, which is so irritating and drowns out the commentary. Television and radio stations have been inundated with complaints but it looks like we all have to respect the South African culture and the Vuvuzelas are here to stay.

Andy

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/8738604.stm

8. London Colin

London Colin Top Member

Clearly it must have been the blast from several thousand vuvuzelas...

that blew the ball off course and out of Robert Green's grasp!

9. ANDY 956

ANDY 956 Member

Darn those Yanks!

I did place my bet on the USA to win against Slovenia but again lost my money as it ended up a draw and my wager was for them to win (why did I not go for the draws?).

The USA came back from 2 nil down, then played really well and were robbed of their third goal by a refereeing decision. That referee also robbed my money on them to win the game.

England could only manage a 0-0 draw against Algeria so the USA is now above us in the group table.

So how does this pan out for the next matches?

I will ask our resident UK BJ statistician, London Colin for the definitive answer on which teams go through in our group depending on the results of the next games.

What surprised me is that FIFA announced that South Africa had sold more tickets for the USA supporters than any other team in the World Cup, and that American fans have supported their team more than the other nations in the competition (fact). And they say that the USA does not care about soccer???

Andy

10. Barney Stone

Barney Stone New Member

<<And they say that the USA does not care about soccer???>>

Soccer ratings have doubled in USA for this WC...............

11. ANDY 956

ANDY 956 Member

USA World Cup Group Winners

I had another bet on the USA to beat Algeria, albeit at short odds to win some of my money back. My god, this American team doesn’t half put you through the pressure. Another one of their goals disallowed and then countless chances to put the ball in the back of the net only for them to score in the 91st minute.

Bill Clinton who was watching looked to have aged by the final whistle and so had I.

Well done the USA and England.

Andy

12. ANDY 956

ANDY 956 Member

Betting On My USA Boys Again

I have adopted the USA as my betting team and they have still not lost a match.

They play Ghana tomorrow and I am confident that they will win. I have already placed my bet because looking around at different betting sites the odds will shorten.

Are any of the BJT members following the USA team or have had a bet on them?

I know that Kevin Blackwood (Play Blackjack Like the Pros) follows the English Premier League and is passionate about the game of football. If anyone can contact Kevin, ask him to have a look in at the posts and make a comment.

My thread is dying a death on here, but I believe this will change if the USA makes progress in the World Cup competition.

Andy

13. Barney Stone

Barney Stone New Member

14. ANDY 956

ANDY 956 Member

They’re going home, but…

I lost my bet on a good USA team v Ghana who were unlucky during this World Cup Tournament. England went out a day later following a pathetic display against Germany.

The media fall out about the state of the England team is dominating the newspapers and television coverage over here. The headlines about England and the public reaction are so bad that I will not post them on here.

Barney posted that the television viewing figures for the USA team are rising so I thought he might be interested in this quote from one of Britain’s leading newspapers.

Contrast this with all the problems about the England team.

“Bob Bradley’s battling team brought more to the tournament than just annoying talk of overtime and soccer. Their never-say-die attitude was a credit to their nation (Daily Mail)".

Andy