Golden Nugget Las Vegas, 2/24-2/26

Discussion in 'Blackjack Events (USA)' started by Doc, Mar 4, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doc

Doc Member

Just an update on Blackjack tournament last weekend at GNLV. No longer are mulligans being used in these tournaments. Entry fee is $500. I won my table in opening round, but crashed in second round. Decided not to rebuy and waited to see if I would get drawn back into the tournament. My name was drawn in the last drawing, for a position at the final table (better lucky than good). Next $100,000 blackjack tournament date at GNLV is April 21-23.

2. jamesmcnulty

jamesmcnulty Member

Congrat, how did you do?

3. Billy C

Billy C Top Member

Jim,
    I'll give you 5-1 odds that the total purse was chopped.

Billy C

Lakegirl32 likes this.
  4. jamesmcnulty

jamesmcnulty Member

That's the sensible way to do it, but every so often it's played out.

Lakegirl32 likes this.
  5. Doc

Doc Member

Chopped. I had an early flight right after the tournament. With traffic issues being what they were, because of the LV marathon that Sunday (& road closures), I was hoping to not spend time playing it out.

Interesting side note, player I beat opening round, also advanced to 2nd round(take 2). When signing up for the 2nd round, he said I hope I'm not at your table. He was; at the final table! He had made it through to final table , and was seated to my right; same position as our opening 1st round.

6. gronbog

gronbog Top Member

Congrats on making the final Doc!

7. Billy C

Billy C Top Member

It seems rather strange that GN doesn't change the amounts for each "place" in this tournament. As structured, it's so top loaded that chopping the pot has been quite typical for years.
    I'd think they would want a final table to be played out. Doesn't appear that way.

Billy C

Lakegirl32 likes this.
  8. Lakegirl32

Lakegirl32 Member

Congrats Doc it was your lucky day!

9. noman

noman Top Member

Golden Nugget: Only game in town. Good competition. Too bad it's such a high entry. As billy said, could restructure payouts. But with a played out final table winner gets 500-1, not a bad return. However table games,(other than in high roller room), are terrible. Near impossible to generate comp levels for even a room with entry. Snooty requirements for "free" drinks. Host dumped me, cause of level of play, but I'm not purposely losing $5,000 for a free room. Tighter VP with lower returns. Still and all will go back. Just not in April as Vegas overall has seen increased visitation and interest and prices have gone up accordingly on everything from flights to rooms(even, reduction in comps) to everything else. There are alternatives to staying at GN during tourney, but all of those are reduced as well. Flights almost have to be planned at least two months in advance to get a "deal." Usually don't know dates of tourneys until under a month out.

Vegas mentality has changed from accommodating gamblers to "paying for the once in a life time( or yearly) experience" Bungee jumping provides a better, cheaper thrill.

johnr and Lakegirl32 like this.
  10. Billy C

Billy C Top Member

Good post noman. Golden Nugget (and Vegas in general) does it BECAUSE THEY CAN!

Billy C

KenSmith likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.