Husband & Wife playing in Blackjack Tournaments

Discussion in 'Blackjack Events (USA)' started by BughouseMaster, Dec 30, 2020.

1. BughouseMaster

BughouseMaster Active Member

Haven't been around the blackjack tournament scene for too too long to know if any husband/wife couple have played in tournaments before; namely, the invitational ones? Both my wife and I (yes, I got her into BLACKJACK!) are going to be in the $150K invitational one @ Bally's next month and was wondering if any other (S.O's) have also played together and/or have done well in one before?
    Either way, really looking forward to it! :D

2. KenSmith

KenSmith Administrator Staff Member

Two shots is always better than one!

It may be less common today than in the past, just because there are fewer opportunities.
    But some of the nicest folks I've met on the trail are couples that share a love of tournaments.

3. Billy C

Billy C Top Member

You're very right about that, Ken. I probably shouldn't start mentioning names because I'll forget some but the first ones coming to my mind are Don and Marie, Forrest and Clarice and John and Darlene. Last I knew, the only survivors of that six were Darlene and Clarice. Hope they're still with us. (another couple just remembered were from Canada and always played the Stardust events. So did Rich and Bev.
    You probably can remember others that I'm forgetting like Lloyd and Rita (more from your area).

Billy C

KenSmith likes this.
  4. KenSmith

KenSmith Administrator Staff Member

That was my thinking. :D:rolleyes:

5. MrPill

MrPill Active Member

Never in invitationals but wife and I throughly enjoyed tournaments together. Played in Vegas, Oklahoma (Buffalo Run) and U.P. of Michigan. All were 50k or less purses. As Ken said, two shots was better than one. We had multiple final tables but never together. We really enjoyed the games and the people that we met.
    Pill

KenSmith likes this.
  6. BughouseMaster

BughouseMaster Active Member

VERY NICE! I'm prob a lot younger than you, but my wife and I have done only a handful of tourneys together... one notably that I remember was up in Shreveport at Horseshoe maybe about 5 years ago. Neither of us cashed but was fun that we both got invited to it just like this one coming up at end of month! Do yall still actively get offers/play blackjack together?

7. Billy C

Billy C Top Member

There's the reason that illustrates why I shouldn't have mentioned ANY names. I left out one of my favorite couples (along with Pill's inlaws ((Jim and Peggy)), Wes and Marge, Brian and Deb) and possibly a few more midwesterners. In partial defense, I was thinking mainly Vegas events. Sorry about the omissions.

Billy C

MrPill and KenSmith like this.
  8. MrPill

MrPill Active Member

We have never played to get invites and never have been. It has only been entertainment during our path through life. We do both still enjoy playing and have a great time when we do. It's all about the journey for us.
    Wishing you luck in your journeys and success at the tables and life.
    Pill

BughouseMaster likes this.
  9. MrPill

MrPill Active Member

No problem Billy. Hearing some of your stories I'm sure you have friended tons of people. It has always been our pleasure when our paths have crossed, I'll give Jim and Peg your regards.
    Success in the new year to you,
    Pill

10. Dakota

Dakota Top Member

Saved the best for last... Ken Smith and his wife Jan have played in several tournaments together (and both have done well).

Last edited: Jan 3, 2021
    KenSmith likes this.
  11. Billy C

Billy C Top Member

I can't disagree. I just wasn't aware. Don't believe I've met Ken's wife and certainly didn't know she is a BJTer. Without doubt, she got her training from the best.

12. matador

matador Member

my wife and I have played for years, some of the best players are couples I have known for years. Enjoy, your odds of winning $$ have just doubled

BughouseMaster likes this.
  13. MrPill

MrPill Active Member

Hey Bill, saw Jim and Peggy today, they said HI!
    Pill

14. Billy C

Billy C Top Member

Good. Thanks. I also omitted another favorite midwestern couple------Keith and Nancy---------Sorry!