Kewadin Sault St. Marie Sep 23-24

Discussion in 'Blackjack Events (USA)' started by Jonny21, Aug 20, 2016.

1. Jonny21

Jonny21 Active Member

This blackjack tournament is on the tournament director's phone message of upcoming tournaments. I hope to speak to him on Monday and will provide more details, unless someone else beats me to it.

MrPill and gronbog like this.
  2. Jonny21

Jonny21 Active Member

One detail from the phone message is that if you enter at least 30 days in advance, you receive $25 in Kewadin credits.

3. MrPill

MrPill Active Member

Thanks Jonny! Now that you are a local, maybe you can talk some sense into them!
    -Dan

Jonny21 likes this.
  4. Jonny21

Jonny21 Active Member

OK, got the call back from Ron, the tournament director. This tournament is not posted yet on the Kewadin site, so these details are just from my conversation with him when I signed up today.

Cost $275 - includes two nights at the hotel.

Payouts - $200 per entrant plus 50% of the re-buy money. Top 7 spots get paid.

Other - food coupons, $30 in match play, tournament gift.

He said he will be working the phones hard this next week trying to get a good turnout.

Should be great UP fall color for the drive up to the Soo. I hope a lot of you plan on coming to get this tournament jump-started again.

gronbog likes this.
  5. gronbog

gronbog Top Member

Sounds similar to what it used to be. The Entry fee is the same with the same hotel comp. At $200 per entrant plus 1/2 of the rebuys, a field of 125 might get it back to the old $30k purse.

6. MrPill

MrPill Active Member

I'll have to keep an eye on this. Just seems strange that they do not have it on their website yet? I know probably 6 players without even thinking about It that would make the trip if true!

Thanks Jonny for the heads up!

7. MrPill

MrPill Active Member

Jonny, those dates are a Friday and Saturday? Are these correct in the header of the message? Traditionally they had been Saturday/Sunday, with dinner on Friday?
    Thanks.

Never mind. I see you have the Sunday added in the events calendar.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2016
  8. gronbog

gronbog Top Member

That was me who added it to the calendar. I just assumed that play would be on Sat-Sun as before. This is something that should be confirmed.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2016
    Cadillac Tim likes this.
  9. Jonny21

Jonny21 Active Member

According to the tournament director, the play will be either a Saturday only or a Saturday-Sunday tournament, based on the number of entries.

Cadillac Tim likes this.
  10. MrPill

MrPill Active Member

Seems kind of crazy that they don't even have it posted on their website events calendar yet? I'm starting to wonder if this might become a wait and see if it actually happens type event for us. Too long of a drive for a "possibly good" event. This is less than a month away!

Cadillac Tim likes this.
  11. Billy C

Billy C Top Member

If it's either/or for you, the next Buffalo Run event (October) is a far better choice in my opinion. It's about 200 miles farther for me (same for you-------more?) Reasons are many but the two biggest are that we know it will happen and it's a guaranteed purse.
    My guess is that the Soo won't get enough committed entrants to even have this one. Hope I'm wrong on that but Kewadin simply alienated their whole regular field of tourney players within the last couple years, I think.
    As for myself, I'm all but committed to fishing in a Musky tournament the same weekend (last one in September) but if it weren't for that, I would probably enter providing there is some assurance of a purse paying enough to justify the distance, etc.
    Good luck to any/all members from here that may participate.

Billy C

12. Billy C

Billy C Top Member

Just found out that my fishing partner can't get off work so I might play at the Soo after all.

Billy C

Cadillac Tim likes this.
  13. Cadillac Tim

Cadillac Tim Active Member

Any word on how many are signed up? I'll consider it if there's reasonable interest. It still frustrates me that they've destroyed a very good tournament.

14. angelrun5

angelrun5 Member

Just got a call from Ron wanting to know if I would play. I am wish you washy as it is not worth the time off with guarantee in the payout. I will call him back tomorrow see if he will tell how many will be there.

15. Cadillac Tim

I just signed up and I'm # 26. To help the top places, they have changed the format to the following:
    30 or less players- Pay top 3 places
    31-60 players- Pay top 4 places
    61- 90 players- Pay top 5, and so on

This does help. Hopefully, this will inspire some more folks to join us. For me, $250 for two nights and the opportunity to see good friends, is worth it. Any level of tournament is an additional bonus.

I look forward to seeing as many of you that can make it!!

16. MrPill

MrPill Active Member

I got the same call yesterday. Ron also told me of the same payout as Cadillac Tim talks of. We have a 5 day RV trip down Skyline Drive in Virginia planned this weekend so cannot make it.

Asked Ron to get the word out sooner and we would plan on coming up in the future. He said they have one scheduled for 3/10-11 at St. Ignace and 5/5-6 in the Sault. He also said they would be putting out a calendar and mailer with the details for next year. Hope this new structure works out for them and us!

Pill

Cadillac Tim and Jonny21 like this.
  17. Cadillac Tim

Ron told me that they actually have a November (12th, I think it was) tournament coming up in St. Ignace. Unfortunately, I'll be in South Carolina.
    Enjoy your RV trip Mr. Pill!

MrPill likes this.
  18. MrPill

MrPill Active Member

Maybe DeAnn will be better at getting the word out if this is true! Might see everyone there then.
    -Pill

Cadillac Tim likes this.
  19. LeftNut

LeftNut Top Member

He called me Tuesday, as well. No can do, there are 3 full-timers in my department and one is out of the state for techie training so I'm stuck.

Since I have a bit of a track record in BJT's as well as a successful competitive event promoter, I'm going to offer to share thoughts about the rise and fall of their BJT's and how they might bring them back to the old days' attendance without giving away the house. If they even care to hear it. Got a pretty good idea what the answer will be to that offer but will try, anyway.

Cadillac Tim, Jonny21 and KenSmith like this.
  20. Billy C

Billy C Top Member

You're probably right about the answer but I for one, do appreciate your effort. Can't hurt to try.

Billy C

Cadillac Tim likes this.