Lockerbie Bomber Bet

Discussion in 'Sidewalk Cafe' started by ANDY 956, Aug 12, 2010.

1. ANDY 956

ANDY 956 Member

I thought that this might interest our guys in the USA.

The Press Association are reporting that a leading bookmaker has paid out a week early on a bet that the Lockerbie bomber would still be alive a year after his release from a Scottish prison.

William Hill the betting chain wrote out a cheque for £500 to Kelvin MacKenzie, the former Sun newspaper editor.

He placed the even money wager when Abdelbaset Ali Mohamed al Megrahi was released on compassionate grounds on August 20 last year.

Hmm…an interesting bet.

Andy

2. ANDY 956

ANDY 956 Member

Brilliant Publicity

Sorry to reply to my own post, but why would a bookmaker ever pay out before the result?

Abdelbaset Ali Mohamed al Megrahi may die before 20th August 2010 but some how I doubt it. Betting on the death of a dying man is not something that I could ever do but Mackenzie makes his point by doing so.

Kelvin Mackenzie is a controversial loud mouth that will do anything to get on television and radio and to get his views over to the media in general.

William Hill one of Britain’s largest bookmakers realise this and pay him a week early in order to gain maximum publicity which it does. Leaving the bet to be settled on the 20th August 2010 would not of got a mention in the press because of the furore that will be on the news on the anniversary of this date.

So for a pay out of £500 a week early, Kelvin Mackenzie and the name of William Hill Bookmakers will be all over the newspapers, television, and radio for the next few days.

I wonder how much a £500 bet will have generated so much airtime and publicity for William Hill?

What price is maximum publicity? In this case £500, it’s brilliant.

Andy