Meskwaki not taking entries yet

Discussion in 'Blackjack Events (USA)' started by Billy C, Mar 17, 2011.

1. Billy C

Billy C Top Member

I called Tama yesterday with intentions of entering their April 29 thru May 1 event-------was told they are "getting close" to accepting entries.
    The person I talked with took my email address and phone # (she indicated that I would be contacted in the next week or so.

Billy C

cwspei and FBJeffy like this.
  2. marichal

marichal Member

tama

hey billy;

thanks for the info. was wondering when sara would be in contact with the players. take care and hope to see you soon.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2011
  3. LeftNut

LeftNut Top Member

Typically, they don't seem to contact players individually but you merely have to keep checking their website @ Meskwaki.com, then Entertainment, then Buy Tickets. Once you've bought your entries there, someone will call to get your preferences for hotel accommodations & first round time(s). It's listed there now but entries are available yet, says Available Soon.

4. LeftNut

LeftNut Top Member

Surprise!

Meskwaki is now taking reservations through their website. But there's a nasty little surprise. Formerly $200, now it's $250.

Deb and I are going to have to discuss this at some length. Between the extra $100 for two entries and the higher cost of gas for the 1,100-mile round trip drive, we may be forced to pass on it this time.

5. Billy C

Billy C Top Member

Work some overtime Lefty-----you gotta be there!!!!! I fully understand your circumstance. The round trip to St. Ignace last weekend probably cost me as much as the entry fee. Damn gas prices are crazy. We'll all be driving those little
    "smart cars" soon.

Billy C

6. marichal

marichal Member

increase of the buy-in

billy;

we in are the same boat as lefty. the increase of 100 dollars plus rising gas prices will make us take a second look at this tourney. i hope this does not hurt the number of entries, thus lowering the prize pool.:sad:

7. LeftNut

LeftNut Top Member

Wait and see

For now, we are holding off on the decision until more information is available. Perhaps there's been value added to the entire tournament package that justifies the increase - such as a corresponding rise in the prize fund. They were talking seriously about trying to ramp up the prizes at previous BJT's and we hope that's the case.

However, if they raised the entry fee without adding value someplace, we're probably going to pass with deep regrets. I've watched perfectly good BJT's go south before - think Ignace, which used to be the finest BJT package in the Midwest until the Kewadins felt the need to start screwing around with it. Sure hope this isn't a similar scenario!!!

8. Billy C

Billy C Top Member

The increase is $50 PER PERSON which is not peanuts. That's a 25% jump. It would be okay if the incentive increased proportionately (as Leftnut noted). I doubt that will happen but hope I'm wrong.

Billy C

9. marichal

marichal Member

twice the price

hey billy;
    was stating the $100 increase was for two of us. sent a email off to sara to see if they are keeping the prize pool the same. if so, looks like will we skip the tournament.

10. Billy C

Billy C Top Member

I hate to hear that buddy. Always enjoy seeing you, lelihay and the rest of the Seattle "posse". Same goes for Leftnut and Angelrun5.
    Gas costs are throwing a **** into all that have far to drive. Do you typically fly in to St. Louis or Minneapolis? Either way, you have a fair amount of driving distance, I guess.
    I really hope the incentive is good enough for all of you to be there!

Billy C

11. marichal

marichal Member

driving

we flew into minn. last time. this time we would be driving to tama from co. springs (ugh). really hate to miss this tourney. the people are the best and it is great to see the players like yourself. have not ruled it out completly. but, does not look like a go.

12. UncleAbe

UncleAbe Member

I've already got airfare paid for (Seattle to St. Louis), so committed to going regardless. I can only hope that the increase in entry fee would end up in the player's pockets somewhere along the line. I agree that it might backfire by way of significantly less people coming. I know that there will be a few less Seattle folks coming this time - not because of the entry fee increase.

13. leilahay

leilahay Member

Email from Sara stating that there are increases to prize pool below first place but she doesn't say how much. They also added continental breakfast on Sunday morning. We are still just thinking about it.

LeftNut likes this.
  14. Billy C

Billy C Top Member

Options?

The two closest major airports are probably Cedar Rapids and Des Moines. I know that Allegiant Airlines uses both of those but I don't know if they fly out of your area.
    They typically have quite reasonable fares. CO Springs to Tama must be quite a long drive.
    Sorry I messed up the spelling of your username before leilahay. I have a good appetite but can't eat a $50 continental breakfast so let's hope the purse is substantially bigger.

Billy C

15. LeftNut

LeftNut Top Member

I'm afraid they've got to come up with some substantially more specific information than that......... :(

16. creeping panther

creeping panther Banned User

Lefty

and still no full pay VP??

Maybe you should just hit all the Kewadin Tourneys now,,,gas is a BIG and UGLY new factor!:eek:

CP

17. LeftNut

LeftNut Top Member

Interesting note.......

Just spent a good half hour perusing through Meskwaki's website, looking for anything relating to the BJT.
    Nothing there at all other than the page to buy entries.

However, I also noted that there's a Heartland Poker Tour event on 3/31 with a stiff entry fee of $1,650.
    That event also has no details available other than the page to buy entries. :eek: :confused:

We are very sad about this whole situation as we were really looking forward to the BJT.
    C'mon, Meskwaki, just give us something here... give us a reason to say "yes"......

18. Billy C

Billy C Top Member

Time to make a call?

I'm not convinced that Sara visits this site. I have to say that I've already entered because of the fact that I'm geographically close enough to Tama that it's still a "good value event" for me even if the purse weren't increased.
    I would encourage those of you that haven't entered to contact Sara (by phone, preferably) and get some firm information NOW.

Billy C

19. marichal

marichal Member

no response

hey billy;

have left a couple of phone calls and emails to sara, to find out if there is going to be any change in the prize structure (with the entry increase), but to no avail.

have you heard anything?

20. Billy C

Billy C Top Member

I've not heard anything but as I indicated in a previous post, I entered it a couple weeks ago. At that time I didn't think to ask about prize structure so unfortunately I have no more info yet.
    It seems odd that Sara wouldn't respond to you. Iowa isn't a "southern state" so slowness isn't an excuse!

Billy C