Pai Gow Tournament

Discussion in 'Other Games Events' started by Walt, Jan 10, 2004.

1. Walt

Walt New Member

Boomtown in Biloxi will be celebrating the Chinese New Year with a Pai Gow tournament on Thursday, Jan. 22. There will be four qualifying rounds. First qualifying round at 1 P.M. Semi-final at 5 P.M. and final at 6 P.M. 5k in prizes with $2500 for first. Entry fee is $20 per round. You can sign up anytime between now and the start of the tournament. There will also be a $500 drawing at 9 and 9:30 P.M. for participants only.

2. KenSmith

KenSmith Administrator Staff Member

Any of you guys have any luck in the Pai Gow event?

3. Walt

Walt New Member

Afraid I'm not much help here. I played all four qualifying rounds and lost each time. I only made it to the final five hands once. I played pretty aggressively, since a lead in this tourney is extremely strong. I left for another promotion and haven't heard if anybody we know was in the finals. I know Jim advanced in his first round and Marvin suffered a bad beat in his third round.
    To add to my frustration, the pit made a ruling that was baffling. He said players could conceal their chips except during the countdown! Not only could you hide them behind cup holders, etc., but you could lay a napkin over them. I protested, but got no sympathy.

4. mazda

mazda New Member

Question

Any differences playing a pai gow tourn. vs bj, I assume lead matters more due to pushes. Any tips appreciated, first time in pai gow next week.

5. TXtourplayer

TXtourplayer Executive Member

If we only knew?

Who knows the best way to play in a Pai gow poker tournament, I can tell you to start off small and wait to see what happens to the other players and that might work, but what if I said start out big and go for a big lead and make the others chase you. Both work if that is the way the cards are running for you, the problem is we don't know and we can't wait to bet until after seeing the cards.

Weather it is Pai gow, 3-card, let it Ride, Caribbean Stud, Roulette, Dice, or Blackjack tournaments it comes down to luck. All you can try to do is put yourself in position to get lucky. So my rule of thumb is bet small until it is time to bet big. It doesn't always make me a winner, but at least I am around at the end and I give myself a chance to win each table.

On these secondary games you might play perfect, do every thing right, but you can't beat luck and any game with highs odds or bonus payouts you stand a chance at getting beat on the last hand.

My advice is play how you want to, I like to start small and have fun, if you like to start off higher, go for it. Bottom line is whoever catches the cards is going to win; just my way I have a chance to advance if you bust out early.