Poker

Discussion in 'Other Games Events' started by London Colin, Jun 27, 2008.

1. London Colin

London Colin Top Member

Every now and then I try my luck at some online Texas Holdem, to see if I've learned anything from watching lots of late-night poker on TV. The answer always seems to be no. :)

Yesterday I played a series of $5 Sit-n-Gos and tournaments. I packed an extraordinary number of bad beats into a short space of time, losing about $80. Most memorably my all-in pocket aces were called by pocket fives, which turned into a flush, thanks to three hearts on the flop and one on the river, stabbing me through mine! Or there was the time I went all-in with 88 and was delighted to be called with 66, only to see the other two sixes appear in the flop. When you are as bad a player as me and you also have a run of bad luck, poker is great way to lose money fast. :rolleyes:

The ultimate irony is that I actually finished ahead, thanks to one 'big' win, but the prize is virtual, since it is a $300+20 tournament entry. Third place paid about $60 cash and the first two places each won free entries. When it got down to the last three, I seriously thought about trying to lose and thus win back some cash, rather than gain entry to a tournament from which I am likely to come away with nothing.

But of course I couldn't bring myself to do it. The prize in the next round is a $20,000 entry to the WSOP Europe, plus $4000 spending money (to cover travelling expenses for the event, which happens to take place in London :cool:)

Wish me luck. I suspect I will need a great deal of it!

Last edited: Jun 28, 2008
  2. TheLegend

TheLegend Member

know how u feel

London:

I understand completely how you feel....I have been playing more NL over the past three years and even though I have learned quite a bit about how to play the game........I call it the POKER PROTOCALLS......I still cannot crack the multi table tournaments.........sit and gos I have done better at and live games as well.......but in the long run.........the game just doenst play like tournament blackjack.......Maybe back in the day when there were fewer poker players and the majority played by their own set of POKER PROTOCALLS you had a chance........so whenever I deviate from the PP which is quite often and I get lambasted for it, I know immediately I have played against an old style poker player......they just cant handle a player doing something unconventional.........it sets them off .......thats when the name calling begins........

oh just give me a blackjack tournament once a week........I would be in heaven.......