Skill level at invitational poker tournaments?

Discussion in 'Other Games Events' started by Blackjack Rebel Too, May 23, 2005.

1. I am playing in an invitational hold-em tournament next weekend at Harrah's New Orleans. My invite is based on my play which consists of blackjack, craps, VP, and a smattering of mini-bac with an occasional round of 3-card poker mixed in. Noticeably absent is play in their poker room. While I have played in a number of other rooms, I have only played at Harrah's one time.

My girlfriend also got an invite to this event and she only leaves the slots for the occasional foray onto a roulette table. Do you think that the majority of their invitees are similar players or do you think that many of their poker room regulars will be in the tournament? The makeup of the crowd will make a lot of difference in one's possibility of cashing and could even influence your overall strategy. Obviously not individual hand strategy but your strategic pace with regard to bankroll building and amount of risk you are willing to take at different times.

Hopefully, a good chunk of the field will be people from outside the poker room. That would have to increase the chances of anyone who is also a poker player but not at that particular room. On the other hand, I may just be grasping at straws to justify going down there.

2. I guess I will find out the answer to my question when I get there. Thankfully, I leave in less than 2 hours since the Baboo gets out of the mental hospital a couple of hours early today. :D
    Have a great Memorial Day everyone. I am New Orleans bound.