Tipping - Forced or volunteer?

Discussion in 'Ideas to Promote or Improve Tournaments' started by toolman1, Nov 28, 2007.

1. toolman1

toolman1 Active Member

ANDREW BELL brought up an interesting topic in different main category. I reproduced his comment below. What do y'all think?

2. KenSmith

KenSmith Administrator Staff Member

At first, I thought this would be just another thing for players to rail about, but after considering it, I like the idea. Poker does this sometimes I think, and UBT did it some as well. One thing though: 10-15% is way too high. 3% sounds more reasonable.

3. Billy C

Billy C Top Member

Too Much

My feeling is that 3% is still too much if you mean on GROSS win. 3% of NET win seems more realistic.

Billy C

4. toolman1

toolman1 Active Member

Not sure exactly what you mean by GROSS WIN or NET WIN. What is the difference?

Just thought of something as I was writing. Do you define NET WIN as the "take home" amount after taxes?

5. Billy C

Billy C Top Member

Net Win

Yes, after taxes, entry fee and any other "overhead".

Billy C

6. toolman1

toolman1 Active Member

So NET means winnings less taxes, entry/re-buy fees, travel expenses, hotel, meals, cab fares, etc..

7. Billy C

Billy C Top Member

Net

That would be an accurate definition of "net win", yes. I might be inclined to forget about travel, food, cabs and other incidentals if I'm using the 3% figure.
    Don't want to be considered a "tightwad".
    Naturally, how likeable the dealers are is always a factor, also.

8. toonces

toonces Member

OK, doing some kind of net tip is kind of silly. This is simple. 3% of prize pool is withheld for dealers. If you want to tip more you can, but for a guaranteed 3%, staff should not try to solicit additional tips.

But at Venetian, the final table was dealt by all UBT people and there was no rep of the dealers to tip, so I'm sure the dealers got screwed. I still tipped, but I would have likely tipped more if I was giving it to someone who actually was on the floor the day before, and I think others might have forgotten to tip altogether.

9. Billy C

Billy C Top Member

Off Track

Needless to say, I got a little off track in this tipping thread. Didn't read Andrew Bell's post thoroughly.
    My comments were only about what I felt is a reasonable tip to be given by tournament winner/winners under current circumstances.
    The "up front" tipping he suggests might work OK but my first thought was that I don't tip at a restaurant until finding out if I like the food and/or the server. This allows me to size the tip accordingly.

Billy C