Typical Tournament ROI for a Good Player

Discussion in 'Blackjack Tournament Strategy' started by jek187, Sep 6, 2019.

1. jek187

jek187 Member

I'm curious if there are any widely-accepted rules of thumb for what a good player's ROI would be in blackjack tournament. I'm aware that a variety of factors will obviously impact ROI, so I'm just looking to assume a standard lineup of players for whatever stake level you're familiar with, and no money added along with no rake. Something akin to the 2 big bets/hr rule for limit hold em, or the 25% figure for poker tournaments. I'm trying to gauge if it's worthwhile playing the mid/low-level tournaments in my local area (South Dakota, so I doubt I'd be infringing on anyone's territory). Thanks a lot!

2. gronbog

gronbog Top Member

As you said, there are far too many factors to give one rule of thumb for this.

The best I can do is that, as a starting point, by pure luck alone, the EV of a given event would be the total prize money divided by the total number of players. From there it goes up or down based on many factors including, but definitely not limited to, the rules of the blackjack (or other) game, the format of the event, your skill level, the skill level of the other players, etc.. From there, you need to subtract the entry fee (if any) and other expenses you will incur in order to play the event.

3. jek187

jek187 Member

I understand all of that. But basically all of those same factors apply to poker tournaments, and the rough rule of thumb is that a professional level player will see about a 25% ROI in poker tournaments. That takes into account all the stuff you mentioned. I know how to do the computation, just not sure how much of an edge being an upper-tier player adds.