Video Poker Tournament Strategy?

Discussion in 'Other Games Events' started by toolman1, Oct 18, 2005.

1. toolman1

toolman1 Active Member

I am considering entering a video poker tournament (not on line) but have never played in one before. Are there specific strategies involved or do you simply play normal and as fast as you can? :confused:

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

2. I have only played in a few (free invites to Harrah's Millionaire Maker Tournaments) so I am certainly no expert but I did notice that the people who get into the money in those tournaments usually did so by hitting a low frequency/ high payout winner at least a time or two rather than building up a pile of credits with lots of higher frequency/ lower payouts winners. Depending upon the game platform used in the tournament you play, you might sometimes discard a low paying winner like two pair in hopes of hitting the four of a kind that pays a very large payout. Some games and paytables make that strategy viable, some might not. If the only big payouts for the tournament game are the straight flush and the Royal, it might not be as effective.

As in all machine tournaments, speed is of the essence. Since you are playing on a machine with a tournament chip in it, the more chances you have with that positive expectation, the more credits you should build up.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2005
  3. oneeyedjacks

oneeyedjacks New Member

Need to look at the rules/paytables/payoffs

Some tourneys payoff up to 20% of the players while others only pay the top three. This will influence your strategy to cash.

Some use a credit/time limit format, while others give you unlimited hands in the time frame.

Some use IGT standard issue paytables, while others use Bally Gamemakers in tourney mode with funky paytables that discount royals and enhance mid-range hits. ER can be like 130%.

Some pay a royal cash bonus, but then discount the 4000 credits.

Some have a preliminary round to get to the finals while others it is one round or culmilitive rounds.

This is just for the ones I have played in Laughlin.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2005