WOW! WSOP prizes may reach $20+ million.

Discussion in 'Other Games Events' started by KenSmith, May 2, 2004.

1. KenSmith

KenSmith Administrator Staff Member

2. tahoewolf

tahoewolf New Member

Maybe we're in the wrong game

I was just browsing through the results from Event #9 from the WSOP and saw that Blair Rodman (one of us - was a finalist at last years Hilton M$ ) finished 6th and won $57,340!!!

No wonder Hollywood is spending so much time hanging around at the poker tables. Go Dave!

3. KenSmith

Blair makes two finals

Blair Rodman is on a nice roll. He made the final table in Event #4 (Limit Texas Hold'em). From the field of 608 players, he finished 5th, for $50,340.

As tahoewolf points out, he also made the final table in Event # 9 (No Limit Texas Holdem with Rebuys). That field was 831 players. 6th place, $57,340.

Nice work Blair!

4. TXtourplayer

TXtourplayer Executive Member

Maybe more?

That is what the position's paid, but if any deals were cut on the final table he may have made even more.

5. KenSmith

6. S. Yama

S. Yama Active Member

It is not a rosy picture.

It is not a rosy picture.
    If you think top poker tournament players have easy millions and glamorous life you may want to check this post:

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/s...r=700319&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=14&vc=1

Though, I don’t agree with everything what’s written in this twoplustwo post you may find it interesting.
    Wish me good luck in the main event starting tomorrow. Just need to win all-in eleven consecutive times.

S. Yama

7. TXtourplayer

Best of Luck at the Horseshoe

The rest have all been practice up till now, go get them S. Yama. The next time I see you I hope you have a WSOP braclet and your picture on the wall next to Chris Moneymaker. Best of luck, I'll see you in August.

8. KenSmith

News from the WSOP

The field at the final event was capped at 2400, plus 200 alternates. As players are eliminated, the alternates are seated, and must post the blinds that have passed their seat since the event began. (Correct me if I'm wrong in this please.)

Half the field is playing today, and half tomorrow, with the survivors merged on Monday.

We're all pulling for S. Yama. Yama, did you win a satellite, or just ante up the $10K?

I know Richard Pace is another BJ tourney regular that is playing. Are there others?

Last of all, Chris Moneymaker is an early casualty this year, losing all-in with 999KK to KKK99. No repeat for last year's champ.

9. KenSmith

Blair still there, in day five.

Going into day 5, Blair Rodman is still alive in the WSOP final event.
    There are 83 players left, so Blair has a minimum payout of $20K coming. If a couple more players drop out, places 73 to 81 pay $25K.

Blair is short-stacked with $142,000. The chip leader is currently John Murphy, with $765,000 in chips.

Hang in there Blair!

(Edited shortly after posting to correct errors.)

10. S. Yama

S. Yama Active Member

My WSOP (mis)adventures

Sorry for the late response. I just came back from WSOP.

Yep, I ponnied up $10K. I played five supersatellites, that depending on the number of participants and rebuys, usually awarded free entry into the main event for players finishing in the top five to eight places. I’d come in 18th, 16th, 9th, 33rd, and forty something.
    In my last two tries I had lots of chips and both times Chris Moneymaker took me out. (I had my mini-revenge later when I won with him heads-up in a single table satellite). In my opinion, he has become a good player, still a bit too straightforward and still making bluffs with hands like 7-2 offsuite instead of waiting for semi-bluffs.

Here is my last supersatellite hand.
    Supers are played a bit differently than the regular tournaments. Nobody gets a huge chip lead because if, for example, nine places win free entry into the event, the ninth finish is as good as the first place.
    There were 188K in chips in play, top eight players win free entry. That means that the final table would have ten players with the average bankroll of 18.8K and the chip leader having about 25K. It also meant that having the average bankroll of 18.8K would place a player at about 4th-5th spot at the end of the tourney.
    I had 10,600 and Chris had slightly over 16K. The blinds were 200/400, antes 25 or 50- don’t remember, I was in mid position and woke up with AK. I made a standard (slightly bigger) raise to 1,600, everybody folded to the big blind. Chris after a short thinking called me. I knew he didn’t have AK, AQ, or a mid to a big pair, because according to his style of playing he would have reraised me all-in. He couldn’t/shouldn’t try to trap me with a monster hand like pocket rockets or cowboys (AA, KK) because reraising all-in and winning the pot of antes, blinds and my raise would have given him 20K – enough to cruise to the top eight places. Even his original 16K could get him in, if he maintained it over time needed to determine top eight contestants.
    The flop came Q, 8, 2, rainbow – not what I was looking for – but wait a minute.
    How would it look in Chris’s eyes if I went all-in? I represented strong hand and I could have had pocket Aces or Kings, AQ, even pocket Queens. From the whole range of hands he could have, I dreaded only KQ (and a pair of deuces).
    In my analysis, Chris, without having the nuts, had too much to lose by calling my all-in. Losing this hand could have taken him down to 6K – a long walk to the top eight finishers, while mocking would left him with almost 14K.

Yeah, he had KQ, and called, and no Ace showed, and I had to pony up 10K for the main event.

More tomorrow,
    S. Yama.

11. S. Yama

S. Yama Active Member

My WSOP (mis)adventure

This year WSOP wasn’t kind to me.

I didn’t qualify to the main event through the supersatellites; I didn’t finish in the money in any of the three WSOP events I played, either. I made some money playing in one-table satellites, but it was all spent as entry to other tourneys. The only success was my winning (actually, splitting first and second with another guy because when we got to heads-up we had exactly the same amount of chips) of the first Warren’s Karp nightly tournament, where first place paid $10K and second was $5K.
    My total fees were in excess of $30K and I won only half of it – ouch!

Perhaps, my closest brush with a real dough was in the second WSOP event, $2,000 no-limit. Over 800 players, top 80 places paid, and a cool $400,000 to the winner.
    In the late evening when about 100 players were left I was sitting with twice the average amount of chips. I was in mid-late position and Daniel Negreanu was in the big blind. He came to the table half an hour before with tons of chips and lost a third of it in the last ten minutes, but he still had about three times the average stack. Blinds 200/400, antes 50. My not so great A,T diamonds became very strong when everybody in front of me folded. I made it 1,600 to go and all mucked to Daniel, who rather fast raised additional 4K. Adding up that he lost so many chips in the last five hands, his tendency to bluff, making the raise slightly bigger than normal, and fast raise- there was a good chance that he was on the steal. I called.
    Flop came 2,7,8 rainbow. Daniel checked, which made me think that he had nothing (some combination of ten-valued cards) or a small pair that didn’t become a set. I still could have been dominated, so I had no interest in betting in – I checked.
    The turn came a black Ten- not bad for me- the top pair and the top kicker. Daniel went all-in and I called him without any hesitation.
    He stood up muttering: “I am dead†and turned over a Jack and a Queen.
    Daniel’s chance of making pair of Jacks or Queens was 13.6% and the gutshot straight would happen 9.1% of the time. My chances of doubling were 77.3%.
    The river came a nine making him the inside straight.
    Too bad. I would have had enough to have a really good shot at the final table or better... well, not necessary- Daniel didn’t make it to the last two tables.

I will post my main event play in a separate thread.

S. Yama

12. KenSmith

What a time to come up on the short end of an almost 4:1 shot! Very frustrating.

13. TXtourplayer

Well at least

S. Yama at least you lost to the poker "Player of the Year" (Daniel) if that helps take the sting out a little.