WSOB III hopefuls

Discussion in 'Sidewalk Cafe' started by TXtourplayer, Apr 8, 2005.

1. TXtourplayer

TXtourplayer Executive Member

*Please note: this post has a lot of if's and maybe's.

I had a call from Max Rubin today concerning the Blackjack Cruise in October. Max helps scout possible players for "The World Series of Blackjack" on the GSN network. He didn't tell me that he would pick anyone from the cruise for next years WSOB III, but that he will be going on the cruise and will be watching all the players.

Now the fact that Max is an advisor for GSN on who get's on the show won't hurt anyone's chances should they do good or are colorful at the tables during the cruise tournaments.

Once again I am not saying, nor did Max tell me that the winners or any of the players from the cruise would be on next years WSOB show. Only that he will be on board and as he did tell me "He is always watching for possible players for the show".

Rumor has it that next years WSOB III maybe worth $1,000,000 first prize.
    Mmmmm.....interesting!

2. shipman

shipman Member

How About The Winner Of The LV Hilton Tournament? Would He Or She Be Invited?

3. TXtourplayer

Did from last year

Gee I hope I get invited for winning the Hilton...LOL. I guess I better get in before worrying about winning it thought. Next week is the last shot at winning a spot after that is is up to the wild cards.

4. noman

noman Top Member

Rubin & WSOBJ III

So what's Rubin's E-mail or other contact, so that the possibility of well crafted words can act as well as contrived appearance, on an exotic tropical cruise.

5. TXtourplayer

Not to do list

If any of you want to try and get on next years WSOB III, "Don't call or contact" Max's or GSN until they ask for applications. That is the best way NOT to get invited to the show.

I am sure Ken will post when, where, and who to send in your information once GSN set's a date and location for WSOB III.

6. Hollywood

Hollywood New Member

More "Not To Do"

Rick, I love ya but this is kinda shady, man... I know you have a vested interest in making sure your cruise does well, but this kind of 'de facto' hinting at making it on WSoBJ III by attending the cruise is a little suspect.

The fact is, when it comes time to recommend people to GSN for the next season of the show, the casting department there does a really good job at not only soliciting applications and referrals from current players, but interviewing and covering their bases with all the qualified applicants as well. To represent that Max is some kind of gatekeeper to being on the show is unfair to him AND people who would decide to come on the cruise solely on the basis of making some sort of impression on him.

As a Hollywood actor, i see people getting sold down the river on hopes and dreams of being on TV all the time, and i don't want to see it happening here as well. True, the GSN casting department will take recommendations from Max Rubin and look into his suggestions -- in the same way that they will look into suggestions from any number of other names in the blackjack world (yourself included now, Rick) and every other application that comes their way that represents a quality blackjack player with a little something 'special' for the cameras.

Just keepin' it real, man --

-holly d.

7. KenSmith

KenSmith Administrator Staff Member

I agree

When I first saw this post, I intended to ask the community if it should be removed, but I got busy with other things. I've taken the middle ground, by moving it to the Free For All topic.

I'd guess that between Hollywood's comments and this post, everyone can take this information at face value.

Thanks H.

8. TXtourplayer

Hollywood, YES I am trying to promote the Blackjack Cruise, but I was also trying to let players know that Max will be on board for the tournaments. Before I made the post I contacted Max and he helped me word it so not to be as you called it shady.

I also contacted GSN about the post. I was just told not to promise anything to anybody, (which I did not).

Now as far as Max suggesting players for the show he can do that. My point of the post was to let players know he would be on board the cruise. I agree players knowing Max will be there will be more atractive reason to take the trip.

That was a big reason for the post, but Dave we have been on the show. All the players that haven't and would like to I thought would like to know this information. How many times do players coming in from out of town know when or if Max or anyone from GSN will be at a tournament they are playing in?

I understand your concern Hollywood, but when I have 50 or more players at every tournament asking how to get in next year's show, I tell them to watch Ken's site for information and not to contact them until asked to and try to be entertaining while playing at the tables (you never know who maybe watching).

I hope the players understand what you're saying and realize that coming on the cruise doesn't mean they are assured a chance on next years show.

I just thought that the players would like to know this information. If this post offends anyone I am sorry and just ask Ken to have it removed, I will not have any problem with that.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2005