$150,000 Harrah's BJ Tournament

Discussion in 'Blackjack Events (USA)' started by BughouseMaster, Feb 29, 2020.

  1. Made it to 2nd rd but in a weird way... I was in 2nd place going into the last hand and was on the button. 2 advanced.

    BR1 bet last (to the right of me) and had roughly 1850.
    BR2 was me and had 1675 and bet 1st.
    BR3 had 1350 so I bet 300, taking the low
    BR4 and BR5 have like 800 to 1100 so wasn't focusing on them.

    Cards came Hard 13 vs 2 for me, Hard 14 for BR3. I stood. Correctly realizing he wouldn't beat me with his hand, he took a hit and got a 5, now he's got 19. I shuddered because now he advances if dealer gets 17 or 18. Dealer ended up breaking but I only calculated the low (since I bet 1st!) and thought that he edged me out since it seemed like he bet at least 500! Turns out he ended up betting 600 since he ended up with 1950, exactly 25 less than me! Had he simply DD or bet 2 quarters more, he'd have edged ME out with 2000 to my 1975!

    Whew! What a round and that was just the 1st one... <wipes sweat off brow> Round 2 tmrw.
     
    george likes this.
  2. gronbog

    gronbog Top Member

    What were the betting limits?
     
  3. 25 min No Max
     
  4. KenSmith

    KenSmith Administrator Staff Member

    I would rather take 2nd high here than 2nd low. If either BR3 or BR4 win their hand, you are sunk.
    Unless of course they don’t bet enough, as in this case!
     
    Doc and george like this.
  5. Ah... I see! Bec there were multiple players who were all in it last hand I should've protected myself from the high...

    Now IF there were only the top 3 of us then me taking the low would be correct move, since I'm BR2 and the dealer beating us has a 56% likelihood vs 44% of me winning a hand, right?
     
  6. KenSmith

    KenSmith Administrator Staff Member

    Correct. In general, if only one person can catch you, you’re better off with the low. If two or more can catch you, the high is preferred.
     
    Doc and BughouseMaster like this.
  7. I guess the pressure of the situation got to me as I ONLY thought of taking the low.... I can't make such a rookie mistake in the future!
     

Share This Page