30K BRC Spring Double Deck Blackjack Tournament - Buffalo Run Miami, OK

Discussion in 'Blackjack Events (USA)' started by Cindy Courtney, Feb 20, 2016.

1. MrPill

MrPill Active Member

Pat,

I checked with her and she cannot remember her bet with any certainty. She just remembers it was enough to give a possible swing to pick up a position but not so much as to loose one. Maybe Dakota remembers better.

Thanks,
    Dan

2. ptaylorcpa

ptaylorcpa Member

If it helps her any she wound up with $1065 at the final count. My guess is she lost her hand, so she must have had the low unless she bet big. I know she bet first on the last hand and I don't recall exactly, but I think everyone seemed to bet conservatively to maintain their position, although I might be mistaken because I lost my concentration after I put out my bet as I'll explain later. If anyone has contact info for Dakota, please see if you can reach him so he can post. I remember him commenting that he had the high to probably win and the low to maintain third, which at the time surprised me, but like I said I have no clue, I was only watching BR1.

Thanks.
    Pat

3. Billy C

Billy C Top Member

Yes, Farmer was in seat 1 but that's the only one of your questions that I can answer with certainty.
    I think Mrs. Pill's bet was $1045 and she did lose that amount.

Billy C

4. ptaylorcpa

ptaylorcpa Member

Thanks for the info Billy C. That means she had $2110 at the count for the final hand.

5. Dakota

Dakota Top Member

I have no idea what my chip count was before the final hand... only comparative. I actually didn't have a chance at the high on BR1, so I kept the low and high on BR4 to finish 3rd. If I had tried to take the high on BR2 for a possible 2nd place and missed I would have found myself in the basement. The probable downside prize money loss was greater than the possible upside gain, so a solid 3rd looked pretty good.

6. Billy C

Billy C Top Member

Not meaning to be overly critical but your last hand bet was perplexing to me. You were a solid BR2 and only $340 (I think) behind BR1 and she had to bet before you. Her bet was in the $350 area and you bet close to that same amount if memory serves me correctly.
    If those figures are about right (and assuming no BJ, DD or split by you) you couldn't surpass her if you both won or both lost the last hand.
    Being this purse was so "top loaded", I thought you would have taken a better shot at 1st place.
    Please correct me if I have this wrong.

Billy C

Last edited: Apr 23, 2016
  7. ptaylorcpa

ptaylorcpa Member

Thanks Dakota for your post and Billy your facts are backwards, so let me explain what happened on the last hand. Cindy gave me as the final count, but I don't know what everyone bet. The button was on spot two so I had to bet after Mrs. P and ahead of BR1. I was $150 dollars behind BR1 and I figured everyone else would bet for position and not chase us, so I was trying to decide whether to bet big or small and chose to go minimum with the hopes that BR1 would put out a minimum $10 bet. I bet $170 which I realize now was not the right bet (if she bet minimum we would have tied if we both won), I needed $175 or possibly $185 to cover a blackjack (I think that is right). What I realized right after I slid my bet into the circle was BR1 didn't have any pink chips, the lowest she had was green ($25), so I really needed to figure she would bet some multiple of those and bet accordingly.

When I realized my mistake, I knew the only thing I could do was to hope for a double down hand or possibly hitting out to maybe 20. The problem was being pitch, I had no idea what she was holding, so I figured my best bet was to double down. I drew a 4,3=7, so I showed them and doubled my bet. What gets me now is I don't remember what she bet and if my double would have possibly been enough had we both won with a dealer bust. I think she bet either a $100 or $125. I don't recall what the dealer was showing up either because at that point I thought my best opportunity was to double without looking at whether she had me covered or not. She must have thought I had her beat with my double because she showed her cards to the dealer and seemed to wonder what she should do. She eventually tucked them.

The dealer then drew out to 20 which I think killed everyone on the table except BR1 which happened to be holding a 20, although I think it was an ace-nine combo, not two tens, otherwise I think she might have split them.

This is the final count:

Final Count:

Spot 1 500
    Spot 2 1065
    Spot 3 3060
    Spot 4 50
    Spot 5 45
    Spot 6 3550
    Spot 7 1420

It was an interesting final table. As you can see at hand 20 I thought about going for the difference all in one hand after the count, but I think I backed off because I worried if I lost then it would get me out of position to possibly have a chance to recover. My goal was to be BR1 on the final hand since I was betting first and bet enough to possibly get the low and an opportunity to split/double into a high if needed. Unfortunately I didn't catch BR1, but I think I did have a shot at the win in spite of everything. As everyone knows BR1 was the wild card and I heard from someone afterwards that she played completely different on this table. On all her previous tables she bet big and busted out. Somewhere she got some good coaching or learned from watching everyone play. I do recall that she played well, got cards and won split/doubles so I was always chasing her.

It was fun, and look forward to next time.

Pat

8. Billy C

Billy C Top Member

Okay. I wrongly thought that BR1 bet before you.
    Congrats to you for a nice finish in this fine event.

Billy C

9. ptaylorcpa

ptaylorcpa Member

Thanks Billy. Hope to see everyone again at the Palace next week. Be sure to come up and say hi. I'm pretty good at faces, but terrible at names, but if you remind me enough I'll try to remember!