Benadryl moved to Free For All Thread...

Discussion in 'Sidewalk Cafe' started by DanMayo, Dec 20, 2006.

1. DanMayo

DanMayo New Member

Monkey,

You would have to be predisposed to worry about liver effects:

"Patients with porphyria lack a specific enzyme in the heme biosynthetic pathway...........A number of drugs may cause a precipitous and dangerous rise in the level of porphyrins. Development of an acute attack depends on the sensitivity of the patient and degree of effect of the drug upon ALA synthetase and demand for hepatic heme."

Diphenhydramine is on this list of medications that can effect this enzyme.

I would not have any issue with using it as a sleep aid and it sounds like your doctor recommended it.

Later,
    Dan

2. toolman1

toolman1 Active Member

DanMayo,

Can you translate please? English of course.

3. ANDY 956

ANDY 956 Member

Sleep problems

This tea mixture is bettor than any prescription drug on the market for sleep and is relatively safe to use providing you are not pregnant.

Originally called sleep tea it now appears to be called relaxation tea.

Reading from my packet it should contain Camomile, Skullcap, Motherwort, Damina, Passiflora Red Clover, Blossom and Vervain.

I would recommend that you only use this as a sleeping aid and not for relaxation (Don’t be caught napping at the tables…lol).

I only have an English link but the Lincoln Memorial Hospital in the Bronx New York may also do something similar.

Sweet dreams.

Andy

http://www.oxfordmedical.co.uk/asp/...ecor=1&SearchFor=&PT_ID=1&PT_MasterCategory=n

4. Reachy

Reachy New Member

Dr Dan

Dan

For some reason I thought you were a farmer (you've talked about tractors before) so I find all this pharmocology talk a little unsettling :eek:! Are you a MD and a farmer or is one just a hobby?

Cheers

Reachy

5. tgun

tgun Member

sleep

It would be nice to get a couple of good night's sleep in a row. I'm afraid to take anything due to all the heart medicines I'm taking.

Talking about sleep reminded me that I am planning on playing the Tue night crap tournament at Pearl River on 1/2/07. Anybody going to be there?

tgun

6. DanMayo

DanMayo New Member

Sure....

TM1,

Using Benadryl as a sleep aid would not be harmful.

Monkey asked about liver problems with it's use and unless you have this condition, I found no other ill effects on your liver. (Unless of course your chasing that with a 5th of Jack Daniels :eek: )

Dan

P.S. In regards to your melatonin question there have been reports of autoimmune hepatitis and elevated liver enzymes following therapeutic doses of melatonin.

7. toolman1

toolman1 Active Member

Dan Mayo,

Thanks for the translation. I understand.

8. DanMayo

DanMayo New Member

Well...

Reachy,

I'm actually a Pharmacist that owns a 50 acre farm (and a tractor) so I guess you could call me a Pharmer?? :laugh:

Dan

9. ANDY 956

ANDY 956 Member

Sleep Placebo? It Works For Me

Still not sleeping?

This thread is a few years old.

In my opinion the sleep tea mix was good, but I cannot be bothered to make a brew an hour every night before I want to go to sleep.

I saw some research about how a SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder) blue light could improve your sleep.

I do not suffer from SAD but have had sleep problems for many years.

I bought the Philips HF 330 go Lite Blu a couple of months ago and my sleeping pattern has been terrific since I got it. The light is compact and portable, so I take it in my brief case and have a couple of 15-minute sessions at work during the day while writing notes on my computer.

Have a look at the reviews on Amazon UK, but be careful if you decide to buy because the prices can be really vary (I bought mine for £160 but it has now been reduced to £125 and some other shops are still selling it at £260).

Andy

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-HF3330-goLITE-Energy-Light/dp/B002G1Y8S6/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Last edited: Dec 23, 2010