Blackjack with a video poker twist ?

Discussion in 'Sidewalk Cafe' started by PlayHunter, Aug 11, 2013.

1. PlayHunter

PlayHunter Active Member

Royal Flush 250 to 1

Straight Flush 40 to 1

Five of a Kind 30 to 1

Four of a Kind 10 to 1

Full House 8 to 1

Flush 5 to 1

Straight 4 to 1

Three of a Kind 3 to 1

Two Pair 2 to 1

Jacks or Better 1.5 to 1

Suited Pair 1 to 1

This is a video poker Jacks or Better variant played with 6 standard decks composed of 52 cards, with no jokers included. This is actually a blackjack side bet. - The side bet is lost when always when dealer has blackjack, and the player does not have blackjack, which is about -5%. The side bet is always returned when the player does not bust and it always trigger the poker game bonus when the player busts. And this side bet is not affected by players doubling down or splits. But I am thinking if that poker game alone yields any player advantage it may be worthwhile.. also, this would change the blackjack basic strategy ?

- Can someone calculate the house edge strictly for this video poker game ? (I mean only for the paytable listed above, considering 6 standard decks are used.)

2. LeftNut

LeftNut Top Member

I don't have the software necessary to figure this out but did notice the omission of one important fact. In video poker, one "holds" cards from the original deal then draws again. Is that the case here or are you stuck with the dealt cards?

3. PlayHunter

PlayHunter Active Member

You are right this is very important and I did not pointed it out. Yes, there is no re-draw round. The player is stuck with whatever 5 cards he is dealt at start.

4. London Colin

London Colin Top Member

Consult the wizard

Wizardofodds is always the first place to look in situations like these. The game you describe appears to be '21 to the River', which you can find an analysis of here - http://wizardofodds.com/games/blackjack/appendix/8/#21river

He does seem to be assuming that there will be no variations from basic strategy. I can imagine that one or two variations might be justified, but I doubt they would have much impact on the overall house edge. (Which he computes as 1.29%, per bet made, for the poker part of the game.)

[Edit: I just noticed that the paytable is different. You could substitute your payoff values into the Wizard's table to get the house edge for your game (again, assuming basic strategy is followed).]

Last edited: Aug 11, 2013
    PlayHunter likes this.
  5. PlayHunter

PlayHunter Active Member

Is very close to that one, but not right there - in my version a suited pair is also paid, and as you remarked, the pay table differ - but I suspect mine it`s worse.

By the way, I have asked at Wizardofodds, but nobody responded me ... A while ago someone told me I am asking too many questions there ... :)

Last edited: Aug 12, 2013