Blackjack's Newest Millionaire...

Discussion in 'Blackjack Events (USA)' started by TXtourplayer, Aug 17, 2008.

1. TedinNaples

TedinNaples New Member

Thanks, LeftNut!

LeftNut,

Thanks for the detailed recap and analysis. I really appreciate it.

This game never ceases to amaze me.

- Ted

2. ptaylorcpa

ptaylorcpa Member

Quick answer

Yes in blackjack tournaments you have to count all the chip stacks yourself.

3. BlueLight

BlueLight Active Member

Doc's last bet

Wong recomends to hold an extra chip when betting last. However this is good advice when the chip counts are fairly close. For "ALL IN" tournaments when the chip leader has more than 50% more than BR2 (in this case 1.5 x 2500 = 3750 and Doc had 3950) then the chip leader should bet using the rule "bet your lead minus a chip" or since BR2 has 2500 then he should hold 2525 and bet the rest (1425). Call it "Hold a chip more than BR2's bankroll". A bet of 1425 would cover the high and low for any bet by BR2 (and he doesn't have to worry about any double downs or him having to double down). He also can stand the push loss swing from BR2 and smaller bankrolls.

....................................BlueLight

4. Monkeysystem

Monkeysystem Top Member Staff Member

The play of the hand is important here too. A good rule of thumb in this situation is never hit a stiff. That's not the most precise strategy but it captures almost all of the precise strategy here. Not hitting a stiff removes the possibility of the dreaded "double bust," which is where most of your swings come from.

5. Monkeysystem

True, but...

What never ceases to amaze (or amuse) me is that some players will actually break down their stacks for you and help you count them. They're being polite, but they paid their money to enter the tournament and now they're helping an opponent beat them.

6. Monkeysystem

And you don't even have to retire to do it like in other sports...!!

Great job! :D

7. LeftNut

LeftNut Top Member

It was my honor........

DrBass, it was my pleasure. A labor of love as it were, because watching Tammie take it all down in such dramatic fashion was one of the most exciting series of events that I have ever witnessed. Deb and I are just deliriously happy for both of you! Thanks to everyone who posted kind comments on that mini-novel.

Also, thanks to Tournament Director Dan Lantz and "Hollywood" Dave Stann, for they each took the considerable time to contribute rather detailed emails with the information that was needed. Thanks, guys!!!!! :D

8. LeftNut

LeftNut Top Member

An excellent analysis, and the same conclusion reached by Dave (Stann) and myself. It would be interesting to see comments on this from our resident BJT.com numbers gurus such as Ken, SYama, Monkeysystem, and others. Gentlemen?

9. maxwell

maxwell Member

good job

Good job left nut for the final hands
    knowing dr bass and bj beauty i am very happy for the both of them
    i love to see good things happen to good people and after hearing about the exciting finish a i am again iluminated again to play another tournament when i get the chance

by the way bj beauty mrs maxwell is very excited about your win as a female player and wishes you and dr bass a great future togeather

10. swog

swog Elite Member Staff Member

Winstar

Leftnut,
    that was written better than many of the books I have read, and I haven't read that many books!!!!!
    I could see the hands being played as I was reading your report.
    You have a future at this.

Tammie....congrats again, and again, and again

11. ptaylorcpa

ptaylorcpa Member

Yes that happens too

I agree some people are helpful, but the last time I played I was put on the spot by one of these guys on the final hand who broke down his stack for me and counted out his chips and told me what he had and wanted me to reciprocate. In this situation it was more helpful for him to know my chipcount since he was betting first, but I obliged even though I didn't have to.

12. Billy C

Billy C Top Member

Chip Counts

If someone has poor eyesight AND I like the individual, I would probably tell him/her, if asked what I have. Otherwise, no!

Billy C

13. toolman1

toolman1 Active Member

First off, my CONGRATS to BJ Beauty. You went with a bold play when you needed to and it paid off big time. It certainly is a great way for you and drbass to start your lives together. :band:

LeftNut,

Nice job of recapping the final table as it unfolded. I'm sure the vast majority of active members here read and enjoyed your dissertation. That being said, I can't understand for the life of me your apparent defense of "doc". In part, here is what you said:
    First of all, doc's primary interest should have been on BR2 and he was physically closer to BR2 than he was to BJ Beauty so counting those chips would have been easier. Second, how could a miscount BJ Beauty's chips be off by such a huge amount? I can understand being off by a few hundred dollars, but his bet was insane if indeed it was sized for competition against BJ Beauty who was BR3.

As for the statement "Nobody gets to the point of being the final table chip leader going into the last hand of one of the most rigorous blackjack tournaments in history without having a damn good idea of how to play the game", I think you are being too kind as this is a fallacy. Reading about how he came out with both guns firing gives some insight to his "strategy" and his final betting, as most everyone agrees, leaves something to be desired. I'd love to have him at my table in every tournament I play :D .

Last edited: Aug 20, 2008
  14. LeftNut

LeftNut Top Member

Thanks, Toolman - really! Criticism is as welcome as praise.

I never kick a man when he's down. And down he must be - who wouldn't be after such an expensive mistake?
    He's probably kicking himself quite hard enough already.

15. toolman1

toolman1 Active Member

Glad you took my comments as constructive (as it was intended) as opposed to destructive. Like I said (or implied), you did a lot of legwork to bring the story to us and we are grateful for that.

I understand the thing about "I never kick a man when he's down". Referring back to the last hand play, believe me, I've made and continue to make my share of mistakes. But I try to learn from them and don't make non-sensible excuses when they occur. One needs to admit his/her mistakes before one can make improvements and move foreword.

16. Redhook

Redhook Member

Doc

I had the good fortune of getting to know and spending a lot of time with Doc during the reality-TV portion of the July qualifying tournament. He is one of the nicest and most generous individuals I have ever met.

One thing he is not, though, is a Blackjack Tournament pro. He is a dangerous player who bets in a style that often results in a runaway lead (as shown at the August $2M final table) or leads to busting out early (as at the July qualifier final table).

Doc is his own worse critic. Fatigue may have been a factor. Perhaps he wouldn't have made such a mistake if the tournament didn't go until after 5AM.

17. bozo101

bozo101 New Member

Super Star

Congrats great job Don McM

18. LeftNut

LeftNut Top Member

Tammie, what the first frivolous, foolish, impractical, and downright silly thing you're going to do with all that cash?
    Enquiring minds want to know! :D

By the way, everyone, don't forget that she also won $15K in her qualifier tournament, plus a new hot rod car, plus she was awarded a downright gorgeous $20K diamond champion's bracelet. Adding all that up, it may be the biggest haul anyone has ever earned in a BJT.

19. dreamer

dreamer New Member

Biggest Haul!!

Definitely the single biggest haul of Tournament Prizes I've ever heard of!

Regarding how you spend your bounty and what you do with it, keep the information to yourself would be my recommendation. No enquiring mind here, and it's not really anyone's business anyway.

Enjoy Sweetheart...

Skipper :cheers::1st::cheers:

20. Billy C

Billy C Top Member

Split?

What does "Split" mean in the first post (this thread). I'm hoping it doesn't mean they had a purse split deal set up.

Billy C