BR1 OOP vs. Thinking BR2 Plus Two >Max Bet Ahead

Discussion in 'Blackjack Tournament Strategy' started by Monkeysystem, Aug 2, 2018.

1. Monkeysystem

Monkeysystem Top Member Staff Member

The following situation came up in my most recent tournament:

Last hand. One will advance to finals. Min bet 10, max bet 2,000 in increments of 5. No surrender, insurance, or even money allowed. Blackjacks pay 2:1. This is a face down pitch game.

BR2 has been measuring his bets and keeping a watchful eye on the chip stacks.

BR3 is first to act.

BR3...…………... stack 6,175 bet 2,000
    Monkeysystem stack 8,205 bet ?
    Thinking BR2 stack 7,400
    BR4...…………... stack 6,000

As I saw it I had two choices for my bet.

Choice #1. Bet 800. This forces BR2 to bet the max and win his bet. However, I will not be able to cover the double downs by BR3 and BR4.

Choice #2. Bet 2,000. BR2 can respond by betting 1,190 to take the low on me. However, he will not be able to double down aggressively to retake the high if I tuck my hand. My bet covers the double downs by BR3 and BR4.

This seems to me to be a pretty close decision. If it weren't for the double down threat from BR3 and BR4, this would be an easy decision to bet 800. If BR3 and/or BR4 were within a max bet I would probably have to bet 2,000.

Can anybody generate some numbers to analyze this situation?
    Would my decision change if BR4 didn't exist?
    What if we add a BR5 with a stack of 5,995?

johnr likes this.
  2. gronbog

gronbog Top Member

I can run the numbers, but may not have time until early next week.

3. S. Yama

S. Yama Active Member

I appreciate Monkeysystem thoroughness (as usual) in setting up the situation.
    Gronbog, can you add to your sim his bet of 1,000 and BR2 betting both low and high,
    thanks,
    S. Yama