Game Account $5k Online Tourney

Discussion in 'Blackjack Events (Other areas)' started by bjmace, Sep 26, 2008.

1. bjmace

bjmace Member

Just had the following from Game Account :

On Sunday 28th September at 7pm BST you can become part of Blackjack history.
    World’s largest online Blackjack Tournament
    Game Account are proud to bring you the world’s largest online Multiplayer Blackjack Tournament, the X50 Series.
    The winner on Sunday the 28th September is guaranteed to win 50 Times the buy in, so £5,000.
    We’re also guaranteeing that the prize pool will be £7,777 – the top 32 players will get paid.
    The Buy In is £100; this is high octane Blackjack action, the winner of this tournament will be making internet history, pocketing some serious cash and bagging the all important bragging rights.
    So stop thinking about what you’d do with the cash and reserve your seat now. Don’t forget the tournament will take less than an hour to complete, unlike a poker tournament which would last for hours.
    Go and claim a slice of internet history and I look forward to congratulating you on your win.

2. zweeky

zweeky Member

I'll try it!

3. zweeky

zweeky Member

The winner is Popking: £5000 = $9208.95 USD. Congrats!

London Colin made the semi-final and won a little more than twice the buy-in.

I made round 3 and won a little less than half the buy-in.

4. London Colin

London Colin Top Member

So close

To get my whining out of the way first - I was beaten by the dreaded double-down-with-swing on the last hand! I had already counted, re-counted and given individual names to my chickens, as far as appearing in the final was concerned. My nemesis was the eventual winner, Popking. He had to DD on 14 and got a 7. :flame:

Still, I had my share of luck in getting that far. I messed up my last bet on the previous round, but the cards did not punish me. What's more, I had a bye in the first round (78 players registered, so I went straight into the round of 64, in this two-player, knockout format). Then my second-round opponent did not show up, so I got a bye into round 3. Amazingly, it looked like 16 people paid their £100 entry fee and then did not show up to play!

Zweeky,

I saw that you were there. Did you try using the in-game chat facility at all? For a while now it hasn't been working for me. Nothing I type appears, and I don't see any chat from anyone else. So either it's broken for everyone, or it's broken in both directions for me, if you see what I mean.

Bad luck on not advancing further. I was annoyed to see that the first two payout levels were less than the buy-in. I think it would be better to either spread the prize pool out more evenly, or only pay 16, rather than 32. (Of course, that would have hurt you financially on this occasion, but psychologically it just seems wrong to win less than it costs you to enter.)

The payouts were -
    Finalists: 1st £5000, 2nd £500
    SF Losers: £250
    QF Losers: £175
    R4 Losers: £60
    R3 Losers: £37.31 (So I got a bye into the first guaranteed payout position!)

I think Zweeky and I may be the only bjt.com members involved, but congrats to all, if any should happen to be reading this (even to Popking!:))

5. zweeky

zweeky Member

Probably some of them did not pay £100 but won an early satellite.

Chat works fine with me. But I had a permanent bug (not related to the chat) when they changed the software a couple of months ago. I was suggested to try Firefox instead of Internet Explorer and it did work, so I use Firefox for Game Account since then. Maybe you can try that.

Don't know, but I would bet that there are a few others!

6. London Colin

London Colin Top Member

Good point. I'd forgotten that there had been satellites.

Thanks. I'll have to investigate, then. Don't want to seem rude by ignoring people.

7. London Colin

London Colin Top Member

Chat

I contacted support. Apparently there is a problem with my account (and a few others) that is causing chat to be disabled. It's being investigated. The player names appear greyed-out to me, to indicate the lack of chat.

I did once experiment with the different chat options that can be selected from the drop-down list, before reverting to 'show all'. I don't know if this is what sparked the problem, but it might be wise not to fiddle with the settings, just in case.

8. London Colin

London Colin Top Member

Fixed

They've cured my chat problem by removing the space from my username. It seems there's a bug which manifests itself if you use non-alphanumeric chatacters in your name.