Harrahs/Laughlin/Promo Tourney

Discussion in 'Blackjack Events (USA)' started by oneeyedjacks, Mar 4, 2004.

1. oneeyedjacks

oneeyedjacks New Member

A Summary--

Table games promo got you in, Feb 27,28th.

Eight sessions, five tables, six spots. Three no-shows per session.

Weekend room and a banquet for two comped.

Top four advance per session playing $500 in chips, $10-500 bet, BJ 2/1

Results- a bunch of idiots could not get to $1000 in chips, including me to advance.

My session $970 was fourth place to the semis, out of 27 players.

32 in the semis and six to the finals for $26.5K, 10K for 1st.

Harrahs-please do this again soon.

2. oneeyedjacks

oneeyedjacks New Member

More Comments:

I was fortunite to observe a couple of sessions before mine. They announce the top four scores/qualifiers for each session before starting the next. I had a 3 session sample, threw out the top and bottom score and averaged the second/third scores, about $1,300.

My goal was to win my table and hit $1,300. Played the 1/7th, 1/3rd and then all in strategy once I got off the minimum bet.

So many players were basically flat betting the 25 hands. Even on the last hand or two they would not "push it out".

Harrahs had a rules reception and gave out a set to everyone. Trouble is they did not follow them.

One rule was you were supposed to have your smokes/gum/etc. on the table (no going to a pocket). My table had to clear everything off the table, no water bottles.

Another rule was no cheat sheets. One player was using one and just was told not to use it, instead of being kicked out.

The rule that I had trouble with is, "ten seconds to place bet". I am used to betting in order once the button got moved. Heck, the dealer immediately started dealing as soon as she moved the button, not even ten seconds was given. Basically you had to make a bet by the time she gathered the cards. This is how they kept the 25 hand sessions in 30 minutes on-time.

Other than this it was a well run and fun event!

OK, here was my play trying to get to $1300 in chips.

After bouncing around with a couple all-in wins to get to hand 23. I had $565 in chips and bet the max $500.

Get 15 versus a dealer 9. I pushed out my remaining 65 in chips for a very unconventional double down, busted.

A 65 chip pile would not have done anything for me for the last two hands, just wonder if I made a good move? I was ready to sit on $1,130 for the last two hands and take my chances, since I would have been a max bet better than anyone at my table.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2004
  3. KenSmith

KenSmith Administrator Staff Member

I like the play. As you say, $65 wasn't worth a thing. You do give up a tiny bit, because you can't rehit if you drew an Ace to your 15. Still, standing with 16v9 is actually the right play if you MUST WIN the hand and a push is worthless. That's not quite your situation, but it's close enough to persuade me that the downside of doubling the 15 is minimal. The extra $65 win could be helpful.

So, nice play. Too bad it didn't work out.