Joe Pane publishing some UBT videos to YouTube

Discussion in 'Blackjack Events (USA)' started by KenSmith, Apr 23, 2020.

1. KenSmith

KenSmith Administrator Staff Member

In the last couple of days, Joe Pane has begun posting some UBT videos to YouTube.

I haven't had a chance to watch any yet, and someone on Facebook mentioned that the shows weren't complete. Since the length appears to be around 30 minutes for each, that may be true.

Nonetheless, any access to these videos that never made it to TV is nice to see.

You can find his YouTube channel here:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYTz44UWwCWFFaQ5xH0olpQ

Joep, george and Dakota like this.
  2. BughouseMaster

BughouseMaster Active Member

Do we know why only now he's decided to post after all these years since the UBT took place???

Joep likes this.
  3. gronbog

gronbog Top Member

Maybe we'll get to see Leftnut's appearance.

Joep, LeftNut and george like this.
  4. Dakota

Dakota Top Member

1. Hopefully, if Joe posts more UBT videos, we will see Leftnut. During the series I made 1 semi-final table and 1 quarter final table but Ken made several final tables. In fact, I first met Ken at the Aruba tournament and then St. Kitts. Best tournament teacher ever!

Last edited: Apr 24, 2020
    LeftNut, Joep and george like this.
  5. gronbog

gronbog Top Member

If I'm not mistaken, Leftnut's wife made a UBT final table, but the episode was never aired.

Joep and george like this.
  6. Billy C

Billy C Top Member

Ya, I'd like to see some of those people, too. I believe Norm Sheridan (fake last name) was another player there. He is my part time landlord and good friend.

Billy C

7. Billy C

Billy C Top Member

I can guarantee you that it wasn't Lefty's wife.

Joep and LeftNut like this.
  8. BughouseMaster

But how come only now is the coverage being released on YouTube if UBT took place many moons ago?

Joep likes this.
  9. noman

noman Top Member

Might be waiting for controversy to die down. There was big controversy at the second live Beta Test at Lake Las Vegas and then the ultimate "Ultimate Bet" controversy. Would add none of that took away from some of the very competitive and interesting rounds that Ken participated in on TV.

10. LeftNut

LeftNut Top Member

I can shed some light on a few of the questions raised here.

The reason those YouTube videos started appearing can be traced to Facebook. Joe and I are FB friends, about a week ago he posted a video of himself at a UBT final table. I commented that I had no copies of my own appearance. I'd made two DVD copies but foolishly stored them together, something happened to them and both got corrupted. So Joe decided to start posting some of his rather large collection of UBT shows on YouTube. My appearance is one of the 3 videos he has on there so far. Unfortunately, he is a newbie at posting on YouTube (I am not knowledgeable, either), the shows he has posted so far got truncated at just past the 30 minute mark & he hasn't yet figured out how to make longer videos. One has to applaud his efforts, though, since the UBT was a historical benchmark in the world of BJT's and most of us haven't seen these episodes in 10 years or more.

BillyC is right, Deb and I were not married although we were together for quite a long time. She did make a UBT final table as the Internet qualifier, the show was taped with full production at the Palms in Vegas. However, CBS cancelled the TV show before her episode was broadcast and I am not aware of the existence of her finished episode at all. It may not even have gotten into post-production.

What killed off the UBT was a one-two punch of losing the CBS network exposure coupled with the Feds shutting down all of the poker websites including Ultimate Bet, parent company of the UBT. No TV exposure plus no Internet exposure was the death knell. I believe the controversy/scandal involved the poker side of Ultimate Bet, there were many allegations of electronic cheating. I have no knowledge at all of whether the allegations were true or were ever proven one way or the other.

Joep, george, gronbog and 2 others like this.
  11. Joep

Joep Active Member

It's good to be back and I would like to thank Ken Smith for reestablishing my account here and for LeftNut for his help in facilitating this.
    Ok so now on to why I just started posting these UBT TV shows, some that were never aired on CBS TV. In these crazy times of quarantine, I found myself with more time than I have ever had before, so I started organizing my home. I came across a box of DVDs that had the UBT Blackjack Tournaments that were filmed for TV. I totally forgot I had them and I was no longer a member here to share them with this group. So I found my Final Table episode of Blackjack All-Stars vs. Poker All-Stars and posted a short segment of it on Facebook. Some of my friends wanted to see the entire episode and told me to upload it to YouTube. That sounded a lot easier than it turned out as it would not let me upload it because of the length of the show. More research and I found a link to verify the account that would allow me to post the entire episode or so I thought. So I posted Ken Smith's final table and Left Nut and mine and I thought all was good. I didn't watch them as I had already. Until Left Nut informed just the other day that all 3 shows were missing the final minutes. So now I have to go back and repost them in 2 parts which I will do in the very near future.

I have a number of shows and a few that I haven't found one of is the Final UBT Table at the Palms with Left Nut wife/GF and myself and Hollywood Dave and Annie Due if my memory is correct to upload,
    Here are the ones I have found if you are interested or happen to be one of the players please let me know and I will upload it to YouTube

DVD that I have

Venetian Invite
    Venetian Club UBT Invite
    BJ All-Stars vs. Poker All Stars episode 2
    Poker Final Table from the 3 All-Star episodes
    Venetian Final Tabe filmed in Los Angeles
    Palms Final Table filmed in Los Angeles
    BJ All-Stars vs. Poker All-Stars episode 3

I still have not found the episodes from St Kitts but I still in contact with the director and creator of these shows so there is still hope

Good to touch base with you all its been too long

One good BJ tip the DD game at the Cromwell is the best I have seen in all of my years in Las Vegas. Not sure if the game will be the same when these crazy times are over with but it's worth the look

12. KenSmith

Very nice. I'm sure many here are looking forward to seeing additional uploads. Thanks Joe!

george, Joep and LeftNut like this.
  13. KenSmith

Hey Joe, you need to find some footage where I get to stay at the table longer! :eek:

BughouseMaster, george and Joep like this.
  14. Joep

Joep Active Member

Ken I will see what I can find

george and KenSmith like this.
  15. KenSmith

While you're at it, find some where YOU are at the table longer. :p

Joep, george and LeftNut like this.
  16. Joep

Joep Active Member

Ken now you are asking for a lot

KenSmith and LeftNut like this.
  17. BughouseMaster

I appreciate you posting them! What years were these from? I'm relatively new to the blackjack tournament scene, as compared to the majority of folks here but always love surrounding myself with other formidable & knowledgeable blackjack tournament players! Thanks again for posting and I look forward to more coverage of the UBT and other tourns!

I watched the ones you uploaded but did not see Ken in them :(

Joep likes this.
  18. Joep

Joep Active Member

According to Ken Smith if you blinked you missed him. These were filmed in Los Angeles and Las Vegas in I believe 2006-2007. The other locations were they were filmed were also in Aruba and St Kitts I’m trying to locate the copies of those shows I have a call into the TV production company. Ken went deep in St.Kitts if my memory is correct

19. Monkeysystem

Monkeysystem Top Member Staff Member

Good to see you back here Joe! Something good came out of this coronavirus mess...

Thanks for posting the videos!

KenSmith, Joep and LeftNut like this.
  20. Joep

Joep Active Member

Good to be back. Stay safe my friend