Las Vegas Hilton $100000 tournament

Discussion in 'Blackjack Events (USA)' started by Fredguy, Jun 6, 2006.

1. Hollywood

Hollywood New Member

Not me...

-hd.

2. Joep

Joep Active Member

I Know That

HD I know its not . You always put up some sort of formidable fight these new clowns :joker: don't even come close to our battles .

They should go back and look :laugh:

Joep

3. Hollywood

Hollywood New Member

Ah, the 'good old days' -- gone but never forgotten! ;)

-hd.

4. Joep

Joep Active Member

The New Don King

All I do now is promote your fight's over the radio :laugh:

If i don't comb my hair and put gel in it I could give Don King a run for his money, hair wise anyway

Joep

Last edited: Jun 21, 2006
  5. Fredguy

Fredguy New Member

PLease.....

JOEP posts.....

"Why does it seem that as of late most new posters try to engage me in some sort of verbal war. Or is it that there are all one in the same person using different names."

I can only speak about my posts....but I am only responding to your attacks on my posts.

I'm still waiting for you to explain the strategies for other than non-mnimum betting in early hands????? Isn't that the purpose of this formum ?

6. Joep

Joep Active Member

Read It Slow

Ok i now see one of the problems that you have .You can not read or understand my post .I never said non minium bets in early hands. Why I did say and I will make it bold for you so you dont misquote me again is

"lot of the top players have refined their games to a point that there are no longer just pushing out minimum bets until the last 2 or 3 hands the other players have become to good for that style of play to work any more" .

The good players are now making their moves and using their position before the last 2 or 3 hands .If you want to wait until the the last 2 or 3 hands along with everyone else be my guest and good luck you will only be about a 88 % underdog.

I would try to give you tips but my tips really only work in " Penny Ante " Tournaments you know the ones tha you wouldnt get your shoes dirty walking to .

7. Fredguy

Fredguy New Member

Since JOEP seems to be unable to articulate these stategies, maybe some other member of this forum could explain them for me.

Thanks, in advance.
    Fredguy

8. swog

swog Elite Member Staff Member

Early minimum betting

Fred,
    There is but one reason to bet more than the minimum in the early rounds.......to take the lead, it's that simple....

9. fgk42

fgk42 New Member

Fill me in please

Hey Joe,

I'm new around here also. I've played the game for some time but tournaments - did my first live one recently and it was NOTHING like I expected.

I'm gun ho about doing more and learning - reading is one thing but to sit at the table with chips is totally different.

The Mulligan - let's call it a gimick shall we? - why is that BAD :confused: for the game? Let's take the UBT knock out rounds while we're at it.

I for one don't have any experience with the "old timers" so I don't know how the tournaments were in the past. Do these "gimicks" spice up the tournament, make it more level, or just reduce it to a game of chance?

I'd really like to get your opinion and learn from it.

10. Joep

Joep Active Member

Mulligan This

Fkg42 good question but you seem to have your tournaments mixed up

The Ultimate Blackjack Tour (UBT) does not have a knock out round .

What the UBT has is 4 separate and distinct elimination rounds on set hands 8-16-25-30 .When a player knows what is scheduled to happen at a specific time and what his betting position will be when that event happens he can skillfully plan his game plan.If his position changes prior to these hand based upon a player or players being eliminated before these hands then he or she has to make adjustment's in their game plan all part of a skillfully played tournament and one that will have you on the edge of your seats from hand 1 to hand 30 if it even gets that far.You see with the UBT format it could end at any time so buckle your seat belt there is a scheduled last hand but sometimes there is no need to play it.Hows that for a new and fresh change.

I have had the privilege of playing in season 1 of the UBT and also have seen a sneak preview of one of the shows.The post production work is outstanding .The format is the most demanding you will ever sink your teeth into it's not for the faint of heart and you best be paying attention to everyones chip totals right out of the gate.Trust me I have played in over 500 Blackjack Tournaments and this tournament is a perfect format for creating excitement and making for good TV.

I will buy you dinner in any restaurant of your choice if you don't think that a UBT style format is the best thing to happen to blackjack tournaments and to make it a worthwhile TV experience even for someone who has never watched a TV blackjack tournament before.

But because of the 4 ever pressing elimination hands this actually helps the newbies because the skilled players can not lurk around and out play you on the last 2 hands like they would under a normal tournaments structure .So in a way it levels the playing field out and it can and will be anyones game to win .

To address your other point as to my disdain for the "MULLIGAN"

Let me explain why

First off it was thrown in at the last minute without any prior warning from the Hilton and then they charged the players for it.This was in bad taste they advertise and promoted it as a FREE blackjack tournament to its customers who played at their tables and received a suited blackjack.

Once all the players arrived from all parts of the country they pulled the old bait & switch move.And to not make it look as bad as it was they decided to only charge 100 dollars for it.Was their thinking cheap enough that most players wont complain ?

Yet if all players bought it the Hilton just had a free tournament that the players paid for.There were over 1,000 players who qualified for this tournament. 100 X 1000 = 100,000.

If this was done in any normal business the State Attorney General would not look to kind on this move .

Here is an example an Auto Dealership advertises that if you come into their business and buy something you will be entered into a chance to win a brand new car.

The only catch is the car comes without an engine thats separate and you must purchase it to drive the car home. I hope you can see my point

The Hilton also stole the idea from GSN which has the Burger King have it your way chip .Now what's done to try and make TV shows entertaining is not always good for the real game of blackjack.A real tournament should be played by all players having to deal with the cards they are dealt and not a new hand if they don't like the hand that was dealt to them.

Name one sporting event that allows a team or players to change what just happened in a game because they didn't like what just happened.How many more bracelets would Phil Hellmut,Johnny Chan or Doyle Brunson have if they could change there cards after seeing the flop .Come on now :joker:

When is the last time anyone from the Hilton came up with something that was good for the players . They are in the process of trying to weed out all players that they suspect of being tournament players not just tournament players that can be considered Pros.

Watch out for the tall guy on swing sift with the bad posture he hates players that can play with an advantage.

I guess when he plays it OK though to play with an advantage . Almost like a cop that arrest you for smoking pot and then smokes it himself after work . :joker:

Joep

11. fgk42

fgk42 New Member

Thanks

Joe,

I gotta say this - thanks for the well thought out and enlightening explaination.

As someone new to tournaments and not having seen the UBT it's a little hard to visualize. Your explaination, especially of the mulligan thing, gives me a different perspective.

I had thought that it would make sense to buy the mulligan I mean hey it's only $100 and when the tournament is free anyway.....

I appreciate your time and wisdom and look forward to watching you play. I'll be at the Hilton in November. I may stop by when in Vegas during the 4th.

12. Joep

Joep Active Member

A Must Buy

Fgk42 I will say this so no one mis interprets me .I was against the MULLIGAN from the start because of the way the Hilton went about it ,but if you were playing in the tournament you really had no other choice but to buy it .Its is to valuable of a tool to allow your opponent's to have and you not.

Joep

13. fgk42

fgk42 New Member

Joe,

No I understand what you said. It's like going to a gunfight with 5 bullets loaded in your 6 shooter and the undertaker is standing there offering you a sixth bullet for 100. Darn right I'll buy it!

I appreciated your take on how "unethical" it was that the house went about offering the mulligan.

As for me, I appreciate the mulligan factor because it is another weapon that can be used.

I take it that you would prefer NO MULLIGANS PERIOD because it detracts from the game. Having said that if it is offered better to partake than not. Am I correct?

14. Joep

Joep Active Member

A Fair Gunfight

No doubt in my mind you want to go to any gunfight with the same amount of bullets as the bad guys have. You just have to shoot better than they do to win. Or in this case play and bet better than they do and when in trouble pull your Mulligan out and watch them run for the hills .Good luck in all of your future tournaments .

Joep

15. Mrospi

Mrospi New Member

YAHOOOOOOOOOO......suited Blackjack........ I will be there in November....It was killing me... I was at the table playing 1 1/2 or 2 hours and had seen 3 or 4 on the table.....One guy actually turned it down....too busy.....too busy to take a try at $50k 1st place.....oh well..... Look forward to going....extending my weekend there.... was going to the Pacquaio Morales fight on NOV 18th anyway... good luck to all

16. TXtourplayer

TXtourplayer Executive Member

Suited BJ success

Before I say this I know several players will slam me for what I am about to say!

The fastest way I have found to hit the suited BJ at the LV Hilton is to play one of their $10 single deck game. The last 3 suited BJ tournaments I qualified in less than 20 hand each time. Once you hit get up and go to a better game. Just a helpful hint.