Last hand semi final round at the Golden Nugget

Discussion in 'Blackjack Tournament Strategy' started by jamesmcnulty, Apr 26, 2022.

1. jamesmcnulty

jamesmcnulty Member

4 players remaining at the table, winner advances to the final table. I'm leading by 200 and I have to bet and play first. All players bet 2000, the max bet. I'm dealt a hard 13, other players dealt hard hands ranging from 13 to 16. Dealer has an 8 showing. Should I stay or double down?

gronbog, george and johnr like this.
  2. johnr

johnr Top Member

I think double since the others will and 1 may win.

george likes this.
  3. KenSmith

KenSmith Administrator Staff Member

I definitely like the double. You need to hit anyway to keep up with the field. If you bust, you're probably toast whether you doubled or not.

It's unfortunate that you have such a high risk of busting, but that's just the way it goes.

george and johnr like this.
  4. Billy C

Billy C Top Member

Hi Jim,
    Did you state your question properly? Being the savvy veteran tourney player, that I know you are, I doubt that you gave much consideration to "standing" with the hard 13 with 3 people acting behind you.
    I concur with John and Ken that double down is the right play.

Billy C

george and johnr like this.
  5. gronbog

gronbog Top Member

Nice to see the return of questions based on situations from live tournament play! I'll join the chorus and say double.

johnr and KenSmith like this.
  6. johnr

johnr Top Member

Gronbog,
    I was thinking you would give the percentage of going the other way of not hit and making the other 3 double their busting hands.

7. gronbog

gronbog Top Member

I would need the exact bankrolls, bets, hands and your assessment of which of your opponents would double vs just hitting for a swing. Surely none of them would be dumb enough to also stand if you did?

8. johnr

johnr Top Member

jamesmcnulty,

Wondering if you stayed or doubled? Also did any other BJT folks do any good?

gronbog likes this.