Millionaire Maker Blackjack Qualifier

Discussion in 'Blackjack Events (USA)' started by elyssez, Apr 20, 2006.

1. maxwell

maxwell Member

Rounds

Just To Satisfy My Curoisty Where These Rounds (the First 2 )simply Hot For All The Players And Just A Fluke? When That Happens You Have To Get The Money Out On The Table For Max Return And Have To Play A Close Game With Usually More Than One Or Two Players To Advance-correct Me If I Am Wrong:d

2. deltaduke

deltaduke Active Member

Just a fluke

I can't speak for the second round because I did not see it, but I was on the hot table in the first round. I didn't actually count the number of time the dealer busted, but it must have been at least 15 times. I got 6,750 and was third place on the table. Needless to say all 6 of us at that table advanced.

3. toolman1

toolman1 Active Member

I was 7th in first session

I came in 7th in the first session with 3450 or 3550 (can't remember which). I guess I was the only one to advance that wasn't at deltaduke's table. Based on past experience with this tournament, I originally estimated a bankroll of 2250 to 2500 would be needed by the countdown (5 hands left) and shot for that. When the countdown came, I realized I needed a lot more and just kept up with the big bets. I was shocked to find that my 3500?? was only enough for 7th.

I think Monkeysystem's assessment was pretty much on the money. Allowing $1,000 bets on the last five hands (keep in mind that you start with $1,000) and BJ paying 2:1 and 6 jokers makes for very wide fluctuations. Wong's square root formula doesn't cover these type of rule variations. That is why adjustments to the square root formula become critical - and at times you have to throw the formula out :rolleyes: .

4. maxwell

maxwell Member

hybird

SO THERE IS THE PROBLEM WITH HYBIRD TOURNYS YOU HAVE TO BEAT ALL THE ENTRIES-SO IF THERE IS ONE HOT TABLE FOR THE PLAYERS THE TABLE ADVANCES ALL OTHER TABLES ARE OUT (DO NOT KNOW ABOUT YOU ALL BUT I WOULD RATHER WIN ONE TABLE AT A TIME ELIMINATION) YET HERE I GO AND I AM TRYING TO GET IN THE HARRAHS MILLIONAIRE MAKER WITH 5 CARD CHARLIES PAYING 10 TO 1 AND BLACKJACKS PAYING 5 TO 1 I WONDER WHAT THAT WILL DO TO A TOURNY AND WITH HYBIRD FORMAT- DAMN SHAME HOPE THERE BECOMES A STANDARD FOR TOURNAMENTS :flame: :flame: I NEVER SAID I WAS A ROCKET SCIENTIST

5. instagator

instagator New Member

Millionaire Maker Inconsistencies

Apparently all the Millionaire Maker BJT Qualifiers are not created equal. Aside from the prize structure which varies from property to property and is understandable, all the top 10 finishers advance to the finals. All except Caesars Palace which only advanced the top 3. Harrah*s needs to establish uniformity if they hope to put out a quality product. Needless to say my check for finishing in the top 10 was a lousy consolation since I missed the top 3.
    (I know its coming so SHUT UP RICK in advance)

6. maxwell

maxwell Member

shreveport

Is Anybody Going To Be At The Millionair Maker Qualifyer In Shereveport,la This Monday At The Horseshoe:d

7. toolman1

toolman1 Active Member

St. Louis bombs out

The May 7, 2006 MMQ at Harrah's St. Louis didn't happen. Their rules require at least 35 players. They were only able to muster about 20.

Anyone coming from out of town for the May 21 event should take heed. You make be wasting your time if they end up with less than 35 players OR you may stumble into a situation where you have very few competitors for the Millionaire Maker seat. Hummmm. What to do? :confused:

Note for Ken Smith: I found the only (I think there is only 1) 9-6 Jacks or Better VP machine in the place. If you come down (or is it up?) on May 21, I'll show you where it is. I put a $10 "Bonus Coupon" in the machine and worked it up to $30. Now $20 profit isn't much (although I now have enough for 2 meals instead of 3/4 of a meal) but it is a 200% profit in 10 minutes. Imagine if you could get that return on your investments!!!:D

GOOD LUCK to all that may attend.

8. noman

noman Top Member

Harrah's Mil.Maker

Go figure. Just happens, I'm at Rio this coming weekend, May 12, yadda.

Their invite mill/maker has been filled since April 5. Supposedly, I'm on a stand -by list. Sure!

What I'm seeing, is a special preferred player invite to the finals at Ceasar's in June. What ya'll think?

I think the old fashioned tourney's are gone. Sure, there may be sporadic local events, but, the big time's are done, except for GSN and the upcoming UBT.

And out of all, it appears as if UBT will be the only level playing field.

At least with UBT's upcoming first event, if you put down the money and travel to Aruba, you know,(hesitate to say gauranteed, but will) you will compete, fairly, evenly and for big bucks. Go UBT! Shake the thunder and show the suits and corporations what they missed out on.

9. toolman1

toolman1 Active Member

Sour Grapes

Let's be fair about this. Rio is invite only. Did you get an invite and if so why did you wait so long? If you got an invite then you know that the tournament is free with 3 nights free rooms. Do you think they are just going to give this anyone who asks. Get real.

Harrah's has several Millionaire Maker Qualifiers around the country that can be gotten into for an entry fee. If you got it in for Harrah's, well that's your business but at least be fair about your criticism. If you can't get it free then Harrah's is no good? You ask what I think - I'm thinking sounds like sour grapes to me.

On UBT, I don't know the rules for getting in but you seem to think that it's OK to 1) pay a hefty entry fee then 2) travel to Aruba and 3) pay excessive room rates? That does make for a more level playing field BUT you said "What I'm seeing, is a special preferred player invite to the finals at Caesars". What I'm seeing is only the well-off can afford to play in Aruba (unless you win a satellite). Now, let's see the choices:
    1) Drive to a local Harrah's and pay $100 for a chance to win a seat in the finals at Caesars (room and air fair included with winning a seat).
    2) Fly to Aruba (at contestant expense), pay a large entry fee, pay excessively for rooms.:yikes:​
    I'll opt for #1. If you opt for #2, then I hope you have deep - make that very, very deep - pockets.

Bottom line: There is no free ride.

10. noman

noman Top Member

Tool;

I haven't got it in for Harrah's at all. Used to be "somebody" to them. But, for whatever reasons, no mo. Now. No. I didn't get the invite for special players to the Rio. Used to. But not for this one. Tried. Am trying to slide in.

My post was regardaing the people who traveled to St., Louis in anticipation of the $100 entry and a tournament. Or who traveled to whatever Harrah's location and a tournament with the promise, hope of qualifying for their grand Million Maker, to end up only playing for less than a grand. Talk about trav el and rooms and entry fee? And yet, of all Harrah's locations, the Rio's event fills?

You post often about EV and odds and payoffs, what's the difference in a gauranteed entry for a specific amount of money with a payoff 10 times the entry and a speculative short drive for an undetermined payout? And at that a tournament which has it's rules stated and etched in stone, instead of one grand conglomerate's allowing each location to set it's own local rules, maybe for local vips?

It's not a matter of deep pockets. It's a matter of equal playing fields. And knowing what you're getting into before you expend the time, energy and thumb power to hitch hike to your destination.

11. toolman1

toolman1 Active Member

We've had our say

noman:

OK. We've had our say. I guess we're both a little frustrated that we can't get what we want, but that's life.

Good talking at you. I'm sure we'll meet again at a different time and on a different subject. Until then, take care and GOOD LUCK!

12. noman

noman Top Member

Final word

Toolman:
    Good fortune to you. always.(respectfully and truthfully)

13. maxwell

maxwell Member

millionaire maker in shreveport

WELL I PLAYED AT SHREVEPORT THIS MONDAY AND WHAT A CRAZY TOURNAMENT IF YOU COULD NOT TRIPLE OR QUADRUPLE YOUR BANKROLL YOU ARE OUT OF LUCK NEEDLESS TO SAY I DID NOT -WENT OUT IN THE FIRST ROUND AND ALSO IN THE SECOND ROUND -EVEN THO PEOPLE BET CRAZY IT WAS A DECENT TOURNY YOU HAD 2 CHANCES TO GET TO THE SEMI-FINALS WITH 108 PLAYERS :mad: WAS ANYBODY ELSE THERE

14. KenSmith

KenSmith Administrator Staff Member

Well, the news about St Louis just sucks. Unless I see 30+ people say here that they'll definitely be attending, I won't be making that ten hour drive to get there.

15. david matthews

david matthews New Member

I'm playing in the May 12-14 Millionaire Maker Qualifier at the Rio.

I;m also in a Mini-Baccarat tourney today at Rio, and the Millionaire Maker slots tournament at Bally's May 18-21.

16. toolman1

toolman1 Active Member

St. Louis is desperate

Getting back to the Harrah's St. Louis Millionaire Maker Qualifier:

I received an e-mail today (5/18/06) which seems to indicate that they are desperate to save this qualifier. They are now giving the following when you enter the 5/21/06 qualifier:
    1) Free T-Shirt
    2) Two $25 Match Plays
    3) "Stay and play after the tournament -- win back your buy-in on us!" - whatever that means​

It's interesting that it says this offer is "exclusively" for me. I would think they should offer this to anyone who signs up. But who am I to say?

I'll be there on 5/21/06 because I'm signed up for their poker tournament the previous day and of course I can't miss the Pai Gow tournament on Monday:laugh: . Anyone else coming?

Last edited: May 18, 2006
  17. Hollywood

Hollywood New Member

Accumulation format vs. jerkoff dealers

Matthews & i (along with a few other familiar faces) played this tourney @ Rio last weekend, and despite how much i dislike accumulation style tourneys, i almost woulda taken it over the bumrush at the rio. I think there were about 500 entrants, and even though it was a table winner format, in order to get through the rounds it seems as if all the dealers were instructed to rush their tables as quickly as possible.

We only had ten seconds to make every betting and playing decision - which actually would have been fine - but realistically, we were getting half that. Basically, if you didn't have your bet ready to go when the dealer pointed at you, they would call time on you. Once i was still collecting my winnings from the previous hand and was told i had to bet immediately or it would be a minimum bet. Another time i was first or second to act & was (quickly) building my bet outside the circle, some odd combination of hundreds, quarters, and fives -- and was told i was about to have a minimum bet placed (i think it had only been like 2 seconds at this point), so i loudly announced the exact total of my bet & just shoved a handful of chips forward -- to which the dealer called 'string bet' and i got the floorman over to complain that we were only being given a few seconds to bet... needless to say, he didn't care and the string bet stood. i think the same thing happened to Matthews as well, only they actually called a minimum bet on him after only a few seconds...

bottom line is, nobody playing really had any clue what they were doing (most were just randomly betting out of turn, which was a nice advantage when acting after others), and the floorstaff running the tourney treated us in kind, like we were some annoyance rather than people taking a legitimate shot at a million bucks.

but hey, whaddaya want for a freeroll shot at a million? even still, this was typical of harrah's - get 'em in & get their money!

-hollywood dave.

ps: i made BR1 the first round (2 advanced) but after that, only one advanced off the table so i busted out chasing a lucky duck... oh well, wish me luck @ Atlantis in June!

18. AceDonovan

AceDonovan Member

"Hurry up, sir, move along and get to the side play."

19. shipman

shipman Member

Same with me

I was there and the dealer rushed me to make a bet too! My second table had players that bet agressively and when it was my turn to bet I didn't get enough time to figure out what to bet before the dealer told me 10 seconds, it had to be about 4 seconds. My dealer was not nice! Well I will try again at the paris qualifier june 9th.:1st:

20. ptaylorcpa

ptaylorcpa Member

St Louis

I'll be there. I just hope we get enough to play this time. Actually toolman the offer you got is on their website. Maybe the way to get players is to just make it free, or drop it to $25 and guarantee some money as well as the seat on the final table.

We just need the mafia guys to show up, that would give us half the field... :)

See you at the tables. We'll arrive late Saturday.

Pat

Last edited: May 19, 2006