new to Blackjack

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by TxGammon, Oct 2, 2018.

1. TxGammon

TxGammon Member

Hello everyone, I am glad to have found this forum. I am new to Blackjack, having only been seriously studying it for about six months now.

A tournament is coming up at the end of this month and it will be my first if I can make it.

PitchMan likes this.
  2. noman

noman Top Member

Jump in. Water is always fine

PitchMan and TxGammon like this.
  3. PitchMan

PitchMan Top Member

Welcome TxGammon. If the "Tx" indicates you are in Texas, or if you are otherwise located close enough to Shreveport, LA you might want to check out the weekly (Tuesday) Blackjack tournament at the Eldorado. There you can hone tournament skills against some of the best players around. Sign up at 4:30 PM, play at 5:00, 4 rounds of opportunity to reach the semi final round, each costing you $20. When the tournament is full it pays $1,400 for first then graduated down to the 7th player at the final table. Most weeks a first place win pays something in the $800 o $1,100 range It's a great place to learn a lot from really nice folks who are great competition. It is normally over by 9:00 PM or before. Good luck to you!

KenSmith likes this.
  4. TxGammon

TxGammon Member

Thank you! That is just close enough for me to check it out now and then. Today I am in Cloudcroft and about to drive down to Inn of the Mountain God's.

5. TxGammon

TxGammon Member

How can I find tournament software to practice?

6. PitchMan

PitchMan Top Member

I've used Sanford Wong's software in the distant past. It was a great tool, but it is old, and not intended for use with 32 or 64 bit machines, and as I understand it there are no updated versions. Quite some time ago I read, on this site, some discussions about how to adapt it to newer operating systems. Maybe someone who has delved deeper into making it work will see this and can offer more, that I unfortunately cannot. I guess if you could find out how to use it, the next thing would be to find a place to source the software. I'm sorry I can't be more help, but good luck.

TxGammon likes this.
  7. johnr

johnr Top Member

I still use wong's program, I recently got a new laptop with Windows XP. To run the program when I am at tournaments.

TxGammon likes this.
  8. johnr

johnr Top Member

Correction, it is windows 7, has virtual xp.

9. Monkeysystem

Monkeysystem Top Member Staff Member

I bought a licensed copy of Windows 98 online and use VMWare to run it under a virtual machine.

johnr likes this.