Niagara Falls

Discussion in 'Blackjack Events (Canada)' started by Jonny21, Nov 21, 2014.

1. Monkeysystem

Monkeysystem Top Member Staff Member

Don't forget your passports. Now is the time to get it updated, if you want to avoid ridiculous expediting charges. Mine is good until June.

Cadillac Tim likes this.
  2. Billy C

Billy C Top Member

When is the next event (after January)? Not sure I can do January trip.

Billy C

Cadillac Tim likes this.
  3. Cadillac Tim

Cadillac Tim Active Member

Billy,

January 21st is the next tournament at Fallsview.

4. gronbog

gronbog Top Member

Heh -- in their defence, they will actually be driving south from where they live into one of the more temperate parts of Ontario. That said, we have the same issues as you do in Mi and WI with respect to lake effect snow and snow squalls. So I do advise keeping an eye on the weather forecast and taking it seriously should snow squalls be in the forecast.

If the conditions are good, I look forward to seeing you all there!

Last edited: Dec 11, 2014
    Cadillac Tim likes this.
  5. gronbog

gronbog Top Member

Next event will probably be in March.

6. Billy C

Billy C Top Member

Thanks!

7. Billy C

Billy C Top Member

Down here the cow jumps over "defence"! (had to say it)

Billy C

Cadillac Tim likes this.
  8. gronbog

gronbog Top Member

I was taught that the cow jumps over de-moon :rolleyes:

angelrun5 and Cadillac Tim like this.
  9. Billy C

Billy C Top Member

Ha Ha! At least, we spell "moon" the same way as French Canadians do.

Cadillac Tim likes this.
  10. Monkeysystem

Monkeysystem Top Member Staff Member

I still want to go in January, if Billy can make it...

Cadillac Tim likes this.
  11. London Colin

London Colin Top Member

My patriotic spirit compels me to point out that defence is the British English spelling.:D

In fact, the French word is défense, so the American version is the one that is closer to being French, lacking only the accent on the e.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2014
  12. Billy C

Billy C Top Member

Thanks for the lesson.

13. gronbog

gronbog Top Member

I thought Billy was making a joke about French Canadian accents when speaking English. A French Canadian would say "de moon" whereas a Parisian would say "ze moon".

Reminds me of an old Steve Martin routine where he tries to get by in Paris by speaking English with a bad French accent: "Take eh me to ze otel"!

14. Billy C

Billy C Top Member

Next question. Do you "moon" people up there? (Leftnut would!) Ha Ha!

LeftNut likes this.
  15. gronbog

gronbog Top Member

Yes, we have a rich tradition of mooning here!

16. gronbog

gronbog Top Member

Well, the next event is two days away, and I've not seen any posts regarding the proposed road trip, so I'm assuming that it will be just me and Tim. The next event will likely be in the spring, perhaps in March, so that might be a better time for the mid-west invasion.

Tim, or anyone else who will be there and has never met me, if you want to try to meet up, start a private conversation with me, and we'll discuss how to identify one another.

17. MrPill

MrPill Active Member

Hey Gronbog,

I've played this many years ago. I want to get it back on my schedule but not this time, maybe next.

Good Luck to you though. Hope to see you in the U.P. later this year.

Pill

gronbog likes this.
  18. gronbog

gronbog Top Member

It was nice to meet Cadillac Tim and his friend "Fish" at yesterday's event. As with the rest of the Michigan gang that I have met, they were both very friendly and a pleasure to chat with!

Fish was at my first round table and ended up getting the better of me during the end-game, taking second place at our table to advance to the semi-final round. As I understand it, he is a member here, so perhaps he or Tim will update us on how he made out.

I also want to update those who are contemplating making the trip for the next event, which will be on Friday April 24 (already on the calendar). The first thing to note is that the event is moving from Wednesday to Friday. This might make it easier for some folks to make the trip and perhaps stay for the weekend. That in turn might make it more palatable, should you make the trip, get a card but fail to get a seat. On that note, I should report that the tournament was full, with no rebuys available, however, I don't know if the event was filled in advanced or whether some were able to buy in that morning. I should have asked whether it was full when I registered, but I forgot to do that.

Looks like I have the green light to make it to St Ignace this summer. Probably in June.

Cadillac Tim likes this.
  19. Billy C

Billy C Top Member

Hey Gronbog,
    That was sounding really good until I noticed that the Soo has one April 24-26!

Billy C

20. Dakota

Dakota Top Member

OK, Billy C, what is Soo ?