Recommended Books

Discussion in 'Other Games Events' started by fgk42, Sep 6, 2007.

1. fgk42

fgk42 New Member

While I know we’ve talked about BJ books in the past how about POKER books?

Any recommendations for good poker tourney books? And why would you recommend them?

Lets say for the novice and the intermediate poker players.

2. toonces

toonces Member

I think the most respected tournament strategy books that I would recommend are:

Harrington Series
    Full Tilt Poker Strategy Guide (tournament edition)
    Kill Phil (but only if you are planning on playing over your head in big tourneys)
    Possibly the Snyder book if it's mostly for ClubUBT tournaments

3. KenSmith

KenSmith Administrator Staff Member

I've been dipping my toe into some of these lately.

My first impression of Harrington's series was great, but I have to admit that as I've worked further through volume one I'm less impressed as I go. His advice at first seemed clearcut, but gets muddier as I progress into the work.

Now, take my opinion with many grains of salt. At this point, I'm trying to decide whether I like Harrington's style, while my own expertise is more suited to the Kill Phil approach.

I haven't seen Snyder's book, but I must admit that he makes a very compelling argument to go against the grain of some respected pros in this article:
    http://www.blackjackforumonline.com/content/reverse_chip_value_theory.htm

His analysis sure looks spot-on to me.

4. zweeky

zweeky Member

Ken and Fred, since both of you love UB's Rock Paper Scissors, i'm sure you will like Snyder's analogy between poker and this game in his book:

Rock = Chips
    Paper = Cards
    Scissors = Position

Great book but I can't compare, I'm more a Snyder fan than a poker fan.

5. poker books

I highly recommend Phil Gordon's books on tournament poker (Little Green Book and Little Blue Book). He is an excellent teacher and clear writer. I have reread these books a couple of times and it always seems to improve my game.

6. Archie

Archie New Member

Snyder vs Harrington

Snyder, a BlackJack guy, goes head on against the recommended strategy of Harrington, a highly revered and respected poker player and author.

Being mostly a BJT guy recently wanting to learn more about poker, I would like to know what the poker world think of Mr. Snyder's global approach for Hold'em. I'd would also like to read a knowledgeable critique of his work because I'm still in the first of the three Harrington's book and might want to switch gear if need be.