Tama vs. St. Ignace (Midwestern BJTers)

Discussion in 'Blackjack Events (USA)' started by Billy C, Aug 10, 2009.

1. Billy C

Billy C Top Member

Ignace October

Thanks for the calendar listing MrPill!

Billy C

2. LeftNut

LeftNut Top Member

This hasn't happened in a while

Don't ask me who because I'll never tell, but a little birdie told me that Ignace was still accepting entries for this weekend's BJT as of earlier this week.

3. Billy C

Billy C Top Member

I'm not surprised

But I do hope it's successful for them because of our future interests there.

Billy C

4. Billy C

Billy C Top Member

Border Battles!

Wisconsin plays Minnesota Saturday, the Packers play the Vikings Monday night (both games in Minneapolis) and a handful of WI people tangle with a large MN contingent this Saturday and Sunday at Tama.
    I like people from MN except for this weekend!!!!!

Billy C

5. LeftNut

LeftNut Top Member

Absolutely!!! Sure hope nobody thought I was intending sarcastic happiness over the news, merely reporting it. :p

6. MrPill

MrPill Active Member

St Ignace Update

We had a field of 119. I was told they closed it at 119 with 30 on a waiting list?? That's what they said. :confused:

I broke my curse of always having to do a re-buy lately, but got beat by the last few hands of the 2nd round. :sad:

Had another of my students break into the final table, she ended up taking fourth. I think that has been five (of my students) all together that have cracked the final table over the years there.

They did not have dates for next year yet, but they did say they were doing away with the power chip and double deck game. All games would be dealt face up for next year.

Glad to hear you guys had a good experience out in Iowa.

Pill

7. LeftNut

LeftNut Top Member

Thanks for the update, MrPill. Sorry that you didn't get any further. Somewhat amusing that the students have been doing so well while the teacher has been struggling, eh?

I find it a little curious that they closed it at 119. At $200 each, that's $23,800. 17 first round tables of 7 produces 85 potential rebuys at $100 each, or $8,500. Total entry fees jumps to $32,300 for a $30,000 guaranteed prize fund, and that's optimal - doesn't include reductions for comped entries nor those who lost but didn't rebuy. However, the tournament packet includes cashback coupons worth an amount that I can't recall, maybe $40 or $50, multiplied by the 119 players - let's call that $5,000. Plus they have the expense of the gift for each entrant and the numerous food comps in the tournament packet. Stopping the entries at 119, with 30 on a waiting list, is a curious decision indeed.

Still, I'm glad that they apparently got enough to make it go. Also, since they haven't scheduled next year's BJT's yet, I hope they get wind of Meskwaki's decision (not yet finalized) to run another BJT on the last weekend of April so there isn't another reason for many players to make a choice between them.

MrPill, did they have the same problems with a shortage of BJ dealers in the evenings, as they have in the recent past?

8. creeping panther

creeping panther Banned User

Leftnut

Left,

Did you ever consider that they have few dealers in the evening for a reason?

Maybe they have found that the BJ hold drops with all the skilled BJ players there for the tourney and this forces the tourney players to other higher HE games in order to get their playing time.

They for sure realize what you have stated thus the policy of giving action players first chance at the tourneys.

Overall fewer tourneys in 2010.

CP

9. MrPill

MrPill Active Member

So Grasshopper.......

Hey what can I say, I guess I'm a good teacher. :D I'm thinking my 3 final table appearances out of 11 is a fairly good showing though? (a 1st, 4th and 6th). How often should a good (not great) player break into the final dance anyway?

They had a shortage of dealers at 11AM when all the buses came in. After 8PM you could find a table pretty easy though.

Pill

10. TXtourplayer

TXtourplayer Executive Member

If we only knew

MrPill I wish there was a rule of thumb for finals made vs. tournaments entered. One week in Vegas I made four final tables in a weeks time (6 tournaments), then you may go 20 tournaments stuck with only advancing to the quarter or semifinals.

What you will see a lot of is players on streaks where the same player does make multiple final tables within a 2 - 3 month stretch.

I know some excellent players that have played for years and still looking for their first tournament win.

Your current pace is very nice, if you can keep that going you have nothing to worry about, especially if those final tables were in bigger tournaments. I'd much rather win a $100,000 event then win 5 $10,000 tournaments.

All I can tell you is keep a good attude and keep playing the right way even when the losing streak starts. Not trying to be negitive, but it will happen, it happens to all of us, just part of tournament play.

Remember we all lose a lot more tournaments then we will ever win.

11. Billy C

Billy C Top Member

You've done very well

Over 25% at reaching final tables is VERY improbable long term. I haven't really kept track but over 15-20 years I'd guess it's about 5% for me.
    I'm sure some have better success rate than that but still not close to 25% over the long haul.

Billy C