Tough Decision

Discussion in 'Blackjack Tournament Strategy' started by gronbog, Jan 17, 2017.

1. hopinglarry

hopinglarry Top Member

I didn't go into other things about this bet. but if it seems that playing for the high should be the way to go then I could correct the initial bet by doubling for a smaller amount such as 2.5 up to bring the initial bet to 302.5 up.

Even though it is not part of the decision I do not favor BR4's bet. I pretty sure that I would have gone ahead and bet 500 on his hand on the hope of a BJ to put me in the lead going to the last hand. I do not like to be in the position of Tim perhaps being able to virtually lock me out and Gronbog playing behind me on the last hand. Of course, then Gronbog would probably agonize a while and might change his bet.

From the money amounts neither BR4 or Gronbog doubled their hands. I don't know what the percentages are, but looking at the bets if Tim wins they are looking at best with a 2 or 3 way playoff (without one of them getting a BJ on the last hand).

This making of early bets may be a reason that keeps me off the final table:(

gronbog likes this.
  2. gronbog

gronbog Top Member

Yes, I should have definitely doubled. By not doubling, if I won, then I could still theoretically tie Tim on the final hand. But if I won a double then I could theoretically beat him.

3. London Colin

London Colin Top Member

It's funny, I went through the same reasoning and arrived at the same conclusion, but then confused myself into believing it wasn't quite that straightforward. I made the mistake of thinking that there could be scenarios in which Gronbog would take just the low against you, rather than both high and low (basically, forgetting that he was acting after you).:(

There is one drawback to losing the double, compared to losing the single bet - you can't double down to take the high on the final hand as an alternative to playing for the swing. But I'm sure the upside of possibly winning the double must outweigh that.

4. gronbog

gronbog Top Member

To me the key is the strength of the possible lock. To me a lock is so valuable that I am willing to take more risk than normal in order to obtain one.

Cadillac Tim likes this.