Tracking player stacks with Rectangular Chip Plaques

Discussion in 'Sidewalk Cafe' started by Ternamint, Jun 19, 2019.

1. Ternamint

Ternamint Member

I played in a Gulport tournament about 15 years ago. It was an Island View weekly or monthly event.

Once chip stacks hit a certain level, the dealer began exchanging regular chips for these rectangular guys. It totally threw me off. Hell, the round ones do too! Adding these made it worse.

Is this a normal occurrence to be prepared for? What are the value of those things? Thanks!

2. gronbog

gronbog Top Member

You should have asked what the value was. They would have told you. Even better, just count the chips as they are being broken down during the exchange and keep the information to yourself.

Ternamint likes this.
  3. Ternamint

Ternamint Member

Thanks. I will research the typical values of these things. If they have different values and the OPs stack them up, it makes it tougher. Watching closely at the point of passing them out is what I need to do.

I was very nervous playing tournaments back then. I can't add 2+2 when I'm nervous for some reason. There were several locals at the same table. There was time pressure, people pressure and the desire to win pressure etc....

As a side note, these locals manipulate and get seats at the same table. I know they can time there entry and try to do that legally but I believe the house helped them some; maybe not the TD but the youngsters running the sign up table. It's possible the locals just knew how to exploit the rules legally.

4. johnr

johnr Top Member

When my friends and I play together we try to get different tables so all have chance to get to final.

5. gronbog

gronbog Top Member

The flip side of this is the possibility of collusion among these locals at the same table. By taking opposite sides in key situations, they can increase the chance of at least one of them advancing.

6. noman

noman Top Member

Years ago, I played in a tourney at the Rio. Dealer paid off a player with a plastic marker. No one saw or asked the value. And the marker blended into the table. At the end of the round, the marker recipient was $500. ahead.