What do you do

Discussion in 'Blackjack Tournament Strategy' started by BlueLight, May 29, 2016.

1. BlueLight

BlueLight Active Member

Last hand. BJ 2-1. Max = 1000. Bet Interval = 5

Plyr..........BkRll.......Bet......................Cards

BR2a........1780........890.....................10 + 7
    .......b........................890.....................10 + A

You...........3120........???.......................6 + 6

BR2 splits his bankroll so he can split (or double) and is delt a pair of 10's.
    He splits the 10's and is delt a 7 and an A.

What is your bet and how do you play the two 6's against various dealer up cards.

.....................................................BlueLight

2. London Colin

London Colin Top Member

Bet 445 to cover BR2's max possible result (3560).

STAND against any dealer up card.
    (You have a lock! - 1780+890=2670, 3120-445=2675)

Last edited: May 29, 2016
    gronbog likes this.
  3. BlueLight

BlueLight Active Member

Right! This is a take off on the New Magic Number. While you do not have a 1-1/2 max bet + chip lead (1505 lead), but since BR2 only bets 890 then 890 is considered the max bet for the situation. And if BR2's 10 + A is the only winner then you can stand a full swing. However if BR2's 10 + 7 is a winner then your stiff 6+6 must also win since 10 + 7 can only win by the dealer busting.

.......................................................BlueLight

4. London Colin

London Colin Top Member

I didn't spot the relationship to your previous Magic Number post, but...

When it comes to sizing any bet, it makes sense to bet the minimum required to do the job. In this case, there is no benefit to a bet greater than 445.

So even if you initially don't remember (or fail to notice) a particular magic number scenario, you still give yourself the opportunity to make the correct play as things unfold.

Last edited: May 30, 2016
  5. tirle_bj

tirle_bj Member

I guess what BlueLight means is: with 1.5 max bet+ chip lead we should bet 1/2 max bet in order to protect ourselves from DD, and at the same time wouldn't give away the Low.
    Since BR2 doesn't have bankroll of 2 max bets. and so bets less (890) - our bet of $445 (less than 1/2 max bet) is proper.
    Our lead = 1,340; 890 x 1.5 = 1,335; as you can see it is 1.5 times opponent's bet plus chip, so half of it (445) works !

Last edited: Jun 7, 2016
  6. London Colin

London Colin Top Member

Yes, I understood BlueLight.

My point was that I approached the problem from the other direction. My number one priority was to bet enough to cover the DD. 445 is the amount required to do that. Having settled on 445 as the bet, it then becomes apparent that we can't be beaten by a single-bet win from BR2; this is an added bonus, but the bet would have been correct regardless.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2016
    tirle_bj likes this.