WSOB IV: Episode 10 (Wild Card 2)

Discussion in 'World Series of Blackjack' started by KenSmith, Aug 7, 2007.

1. KenSmith

KenSmith Administrator Staff Member

Yesterday's show just slipped by without mention. Let's correct that:

Christiane Hogenbirk (drawing winner)
    Norm Sheridan
    Phil Dunaway
    Marlin Horseman
    Rick Jensen

I haven't watched yet, but congrats are due Marlin who advanced to the semifinal. With four good players here this should have been a good match.

2. RKuczek

RKuczek Member

the two wild card tables

were easily the best tbj I have seen yet on WSOBJ - entire tables of skilled players - this episode - a hot dealer - and luck was an important factor - but - still a very good table

3. TXtourplayer

TXtourplayer Executive Member

Congratulation Marlin

I had Marlin on the ropes a few times, but he just wouldn't quit. He hung around long enough to comeback and win the table.

Caroliana surprized me on some of her bet's. They weren't that bad, I was just surprized she made the bigger bets. I didn't remember her being as aggressive in the first round. Her first $20,000 bet (after my bet) caught me off guard.

Actually with the swing on me, that gave her and Norm the lead over me before the 2nd knockout card.

The entire table was a lot more agressive since only one of us would advance.

I was questioned about two one hand's, where I didn't split my 8's vs dealer low card and DD on the next to the last hand instead of using my power chip to replace the 2. My reasoning for not spltting the 8's was I currently had the lead and match bets (a larger then normal bet) with most of the other players who all had stiff hands.

Had I split the 8's and made two stiff hands and the dealer was to draw out on me I would lost my lead.
    I just didn't feel at that time it was my best play to get more chips out on the table.

My resoning for DD instead of replacing my 6 was, Marlin had almost a max bet lead going into the hand and hit a big BJ. I was going to be down over two max and a half bet down if I lost and even if I would have hit my DD I couldn't take the lead, but I would have had a shot on the last hand, my only shot.

Since only the winner advances, I decided that taking two shots at a DD was my best chance at trying to win the table, even with me having a hard 16. I was hoping for some "Power-chip" magic. Unfortunately it wasn't to be and Marlin took down the table and the $20,000 first prize.

As Matt pointed out, all of us were doing a lot of surrendering at that table. Jessica went through a streak where she turned up a face card, 10, or Ace for something like 12 - 13 straight hands. She was hot dealing in both of my rounds.

Actually when Marlin won, he was the only player to end up with more then the $100,000 starting bank roll on the table in either of the two table I played on the WSOB this year.

Poor Phil, couldn't buy a hand. His luck was HORRIBLE from the start. On his first hand when he surrenders his 16 and the next card was a 5 (of course). And his luck only went down from there. Once he lost his DD he was forced to chase and with the knockout card coming, he had to chase big and fast, problem was Jessica was on fire and dealing him garbage.

Norm made a few comebacks, but for most of the night he was catching garabge as well.

Caroliana play well, a lot better then her first round. For a while she was the leader late in the round and actually had a shot to win the table on the last hand.

I had the lead most of the round, however it only counts if you have it at the end.

Good luck to Marlin in the semifinals.