WSOB vs. UBT

Discussion in 'World Series of Blackjack' started by rookie789, Oct 16, 2007.

1. rookie789

rookie789 Active Member

I just watched a re-run of the WSOB and they actually televised 16 hands played compared to the limited (6-8) number of hands UBT includes in their shows, also WSOB commercials were from various sponsors not the same "Club UBT" commercial repeated numerous times.

I've found the UBT televised shows boring although the "Hype" was with the elimination hands it would be exciting, to me it would be almost as exciting listening to it on radio with the limited number of hands shown on TV, roughly 3/4 of hands played in the edited TV presentation are orally not visually presented.

I really hoped UBT at it's inception would be a boost to blackjack tournments in general but now doubt it, the UBT TV show is like watching NFL highlites compared to watching the game.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2007
  2. RKuczek

RKuczek Member

infomercial

what you're seeing is the difference between an actual tv show - the WSOBJ - and an infomercial for UBT - I haven't even bothered to watch UBT this year - just not worth it - as much as I like tbj - an infomercial for a carnival game that's 'sort of like tournament blackjack' doesn't make it

3. LeftNut

LeftNut Top Member

I have to agree, even though I was in one of the UBT shows. WSOBJ does the show much better.
    It's an actual BJ show vs. the infomercial version. How sad.

Does anyone have, or know where to find, the viewership ratings? I'd heard all this hype about how the first 3 shows, with Internet qualifiers and other people who actually earned their way to the final table, were just a warmup for the Main Act. That would be these BJ/poker abortions with handpicked stars (sorry, Ken....). These were supposed to save the show and increase eyeballs looking at it quite dramatically, it's be interesting to see how that played out.

4. tgun

tgun Member

UBT vs WSOB vs TBJPA!

I wish all of the BJ tournament community would surport all of the formats, UBT, WSOB and TBJPA. I can find fault with every format that I have ever played in but also find good things about all formats. The more tournaments the more excitement is generated. We need all of us to join together and promote all BJ tournaments if we ever want the popularity of BJ tournies to approach the popularity of poker.

Love you guys. Your all a joy to associate and play with.
    tgun

"When it comes to BJ tournaments, MORE IS BETTER!"

5. Barney Stone

Barney Stone New Member

Even tho the UBT CBS show is the worst gambling TV show ever produced it is bringing a few more players to club UBT each week. Not many but a few. Just enough to make me want to gag. If they dont ramp up the prize structure at cub UBT I will soon be clicking the exit button for sure. I feel sorry for anyone signing up for a year package. BTW, Im sure club members have seen they use auto credit card renew at the club. I hate this about internet purchases. Even more if you gotta cal and wait an hour to get yourself taken off the auto renew scam. But, I do think I saw a button on the club to exit the auto renew.....

6. LeftNut

LeftNut Top Member

I think the commentary previous to yours was about the TV shows in particular. At least, mine was! :D
    Hell, I support almost any form of TBJ. Just wish I could go to more of 'em.

Barney, I'm pretty sure you can call your credit card company and inform them that you refuse charges from any individual merchant. I had that problem not too long ago with a cell phone company, and calling my CC folks put a screeching halt to it.

7. fgk42

fgk42 New Member

That’s a nice, happy thought but unfortunately due to bad blood between certain individuals a schism occurred in the hard core BJT community.

Well said – there’s always something for everyone and that’s what makes playing so much fun – but also frustrating. For example the players in Seattle who have access to up to 20 mini-tourney’s in a week become familiar with that style. Lets say they travel to Vegas for a family reunion (just for example) – now there’s a UBT for TBJPA format BJT. Because it’s a different format they may be reluctant to participate.

It was my “understanding” that this thread was more directed to the televised differences more than the formats themselves. For example if you played UBT and WSOB on the same night at the same time – which show would you rather watch?

Uniform rules are what makes POKER such a different critter. If I wanna play Hold em in Vegas, AC, Tunica, Biloxi it’s all the same – just different players.

AMEN