Stories

Discussion in 'Sidewalk Cafe' started by gronbog, Oct 21, 2013.

1. gronbog

gronbog Top Member

I generally agree. This was just one of those special cases because it was a tournament weekend. I was only aware that one of the others was a counter and wasn't really paying too much attention to the play of the others, since we were mainly playing to be social and to have a good time. The others were probably in the same boat with regard to awareness of each others skills and reason for being at the table. I guess instinct just kicked in for all of us at that moment!

2. hopinglarry

hopinglarry Top Member

I did have something happen to me in Las Vegas that probably hasn't happened to a lot of people.

My college roommate from the 60's called me one day and wanted to go to Vegas. We started sort of a tradition of going there starting in 1975 at Memorial day. The first 4 or 5 years we stayed at the Westward Ho. Cheap place to stay at the time.

On one of our trips, probably late 70's, I was at the swimming pool recuperating from a night of excessive alcohol consumption. Resting comfortably on my lounge chair beside the pool, there was suddenly the sound of a car revving up. The pool had a wrought iron fence around it. When I turned around to see what was going on I saw a little car in full reverse coming at the fence. It seems the accelerator was stuck. The car struck the fence, knocked through a huge chuck of it into a vacant lounge chair behind me which pushed the lounge chair into me and threw me and my lounge chair into the pool. Luckily no one was hurt as the person finally got the car turned off. Not your typical day at the pool. I can still see the car coming through the fence.

I know my old roommate used to remind me occasionally when we stayed at places where cars did not have access to the pool that it was unlikely I would have a repeat performance, even though he did say a few times "who knows might be a plane next time". What are friends for. but to remind you of the good things in life.

gronbog likes this.