Please support The Fitz Tunica tourney

Discussion in 'Blackjack Events (USA)' started by KenSmith, Dec 11, 2007.

1. TedinNaples

TedinNaples New Member

Some details on the Fitz tournament

sweetteabird won the BJ tournament at the Fitz. While at the Fitz, I didn't hear anyone talking about the Gold Strike tournament, nor did I meet anyone who said they were playing in both.

The Fitz tournament went something like this:
    . Saturday morning: round 1 -- one winner per table advances to quarter-finals
    . Early Saturday afternoon: round 2 -- all players not winning in round 1 got a second shot to advance to quarter-finals; one winner per table
    . Late Saturday afternoon: quarter-finals -- one winner per table advances to semi-finals
    . Early Saturday evening: re-buy rounds - just about everyone who hadn't advanced to semi-finals re-bought; one-winner per table advances to semi-finals
    . 9:00am Sunday morning: wild-card - 18 names were drawn to play at 3 tables of 6, with the 3 winners advancing to the semi-finals
    . 10:00am Sunday: six semi-final tables (5 or 6 players at each) with winner advancing to finals. All semi-finalists received $500 in promo chips.
    . 11:00am Sunday: wild-card - 6 names were drawn to play at 1 table with winner advancing to finals
    . 12 noon Sunday: Final table with about $79,900 in the prize pool. All entry fees and re-buys were put into the prize pool.

Going into the final hand (#25), there were five players remaining, four had a chance to win it, but two players had the best shot at it. sweetteabird was in 2nd place, bet 1st, and got an A8. BR1 bet next and got a hard 18. Dealer shows a 4. sweetteabird doubled her bet and drew a face card for a 19. BR1 stood on 18. Judging by the chips on the table, it looked like the only way sweetteabird could win was if the dealer drew to 18 giving her a win on her hand, and BR1 a push on his. Dealer reveals a total of 14. Next card up? A 4!!!!! (This is how I remember it. The dealer may have had a different small card up, but I am sure the total added up to 14.)

sweetteabird is one of the most talented players I've played against and had the pleasure of watching -- both online and now in person. Luck, though, still factors into the game in a big way. After BR1 stood on his 18, BRL with only $200 in chips, decided to hit his 14 against the dealer 4. He got a face card. Everyone else stood. Had BRL not taken the hit, the dealer would have taken that face card and busted. In that scenario, BR1 would have won and sweetteabird would have come in 2nd.

The stars aligned for sweetteabird all weekend long. It was her time to shine, no matter how the cards fell. Kudos to sweetteabird on her win, on playing against the big boys, on her unwavering quest for the prize, on her humility, and her overall -- what better way to say it -- sweetness!

Kudos as well to the Fitz dealers and personnel. Overall they did a great job. There were a few missteps, but I give them a lot of credit for a well-run tournament.

2. toolman1

toolman1 Active Member

I'm not sure if I'm reading your post right. Sounds like anyone who didn't get past the first round can re-buy and if they win the re-buy table they go directly to the semi-finals. This means they would by-pass the quarter finals.

3. TedinNaples

TedinNaples New Member

toolman, you are absolutely correct!!!
    This also gave those players who lost in the quarter-finals a re-buy opportunity as well.

Basically, those players who played in and won a quarter-final table saved themselves the $200 re-buy fee that everyone else had to pay.

So to get to the semis, you either had to win in round 1 AND in the quarters, OR re-buy and just win in the re-buy round. Of course, there was no advantage to the players who won in round 1 when it came to the re-buy round vs those players who lost both round 1 tables.

And you could also get to the semis by being drawn in the wild card drawing and winning your table.

4. fgk42

fgk42 New Member

First off - congratulations to T-Bird for bringing home the bacon - I know her Daddy is smiling down on her and very proud. Sometimes it's your destiny to win and when the stars are aligned - well it wasn't ALL luck but lots of good play on her part as well.

In fact there were lots of recognizable players at this event - the St. Louis mafia was well represented as well as a contingent from Vegas.

This format was a first that I've seen like this and personally I found it less than ideal.

Yes, I have to admit I'm partial to the TBJPA rules or EBJ rules. Winning a table to advance just isn't really my preference.

On a positive note there was an announcement that another BJT would be held there in June so if you missing this event you can plan for that one.

It's a nice thing to see players that you know sitting at the final table!

5. UTVolfan

UTVolfan New Member

I believe there was one advantage that 1st round winners had over the rebuys -- Only the losers of that quarter-final round were entered into the first wildcard drawing, not the losers of the rebuy rounds. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong about that; but that was what I understood the TD to say at the time of the drawing.

I agree that the format was less than ideal. There are certainly changes I hope they make before June, although it didn't appear that they had any intentions of changing it. Nevertheless, it was still much better than the typical Tunica accumulation style tournaments.

6. KenSmith

KenSmith Administrator Staff Member

Congrats sweetteabird for the nice $31K win at the Fitz!

7. sweetteabird

sweetteabird New Member

Thanks guys for everything! It was a beautiful weekend, that I will never forget...Good friends, good fun, and blackjack :)...and a little extra pocket money when I got home ;)

Take care, and have a GREAT 2008 ALL!

teabird

8. tgun

tgun Member

The Fitz

Wtg sweettea. I'm glad I finally met you in person. Not only sweet but very attractive as well, and a great player. You derserved to win. I was pulling for you and jazcan of the Stl BJ mafia who finished 2nd. You defeated some really excellent players and past winners.

Good luck,

tgun
    P.S. The Fitz put on one of the best tournaments ever. Thanks, Adolph.

9. Counselorlee

Counselorlee Member

Kudos to Sweetie

What a great final table and win for you, Sweetiepie. And 2nd is not so shabby, either, Jascan.

You are "sweet" but mighty tough....I knew I was up against a real 'pro' when you doubled-down for less on the final hand and blew the chip count out of my mind on the second (?) round table.

You played efficiently and with such expertise that you certainly deserved the win at our table, the semi's and finals...

Hope to meet you again at the tables.....

Counselorlee/FEIII

BTW, Tgun....the "Shreveport Mafia" was well represented with 12 - 14 players. We are about ready to take on that "other Mafia".....:laugh:

10. sweetteabird

sweetteabird New Member

tyty

Thanks for all the kind words Tgun and FEIII....hope to see you both again soon...dinner and drinks my treat :)

TeaBird

11. Jascan

Jascan Member

Good Format at the Fitz....

It was a great weekend....Just to let the others know, 6 out of 7 at the final table were rebuy people. Great tournament Sweetiepie. I hope to see you in June for the BJT at Fitz. Thanks Tgun for the mention, talk to you all soon.

"May you always have the wind be at your back"

Jascan

12. Jascan

Jascan Member

Sorry I missed You at the Fitz, I was told to look for you from Lou andSue from North Fort Meyers FL. they were on the BJ cruise....I hope when we come to florida we can get together for a sit n go....
    Later....Jascan

"May the Wind always be at your back"

13. sweetteabird

sweetteabird New Member

:)

Jascan :) tyty...it was an honor playing with u at the final table, and I WILL see you at the Fitz in JUNE :)

sweetteabird